• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eraser tool erases outside the circle [2017]

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried resetting the tool, selecting different brushes, and switching to different modes but I still cant get the eraser tool to erase just within the circle. It keeps erasing beyond the circle and it makes it harder to see what I am erasing so I constantly have to start away from my target and slowly moving closer to it. I just installed Photoshop on my Windows computer and it came that way. Is this a new version thing, because I did not have this problem with the old version I had.

TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot? I'm not sure what you mean by, "Circle." Is that the cursor circle, or a round marquee? Are you trying for a hard edge eraser that might mean your feathering is too large?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_5888.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_5888.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have the exact same problem as vanessam88779596

I've reset my preferences, no change. I've tried different brushes and setting.  I don't recall doing any changes to my eraser at all. I have the latest update. I have uninstalled and installed. Still the same problem.

I run Photoshop CC 2017 on Windows 10

At work, I use Photoshop CC 2017 on a Mac. No problem here. I've copied every setting and tried it back home. But no luck.

Please advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniella BrownI think I found the common denominator. I also had a MacBook and photoshop worked fine with that but when I got it on my surface pro, that's when the issue started

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Venessa. It really strange. It worked perfectly on my win10 until approx 1 month ago. Hope we can get a propper answer soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this for so long and because of the inaccuracy and constantly erasing, cmd+z, erasing, cmd+z, erasing, cmd+z etc etc etc I just stoped using the eraser in favor or selection/masking, but no, there has to be a fix, its been a year of this! if anyone has anymore suggestions I am all ears.

I realize that I am using a softer brush with feathering but is there any way to make sure the feather stays within the circle? this spill over is frustrating to me... maybe just me

Also, I noticed the thread has identified surface as the issue, I have a MBP 15" mid-2015 top specs, running OS X version of photoshop

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still cant get the eraser tool to erase just within the circle.

What circle are you referring to? Is it an elliptical selection bounded by marching ants? If so, no version of Photoshop will allow you to erase outside of a selection. (See image below).

Photoshop CCss_003.png

Or is it the circular cursor itself? Did you check your Painting Cursors in Preferences?

Photoshop CCss_004.png

Did you try resetting preferences?

Photoshop CCss_005.png

If none of the above, come back and tell us and we'll continue to try to figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes ive tried all that and it still does it to all my brushes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we see the Layers panel?

Why use the Eraser when a Layer Mask (and Quick Mask, necessary) will be of greater help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it does this to all my brush tools including my layer mask brush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your grid or rulers are enabled clear them and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for asking Vanessa, I also have same problem of Photoshop erasing outside circle and same problem when using layer mask. So annoying that I went looking and found your thread but no solution.

I attach screen shot that shows the feather erase outside the tool size after 12 mouse clicks. It erases outside tool are after 1 click, I did 12 to better visualize.

feather outside brush area 900px limit.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. The image above shows exactly what is happening to me.

Sure would like to see a fix for this. Gotta be something if it's happening to so many of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I solve same problem on my ps.

The cause of this problem is the "win 10/display settings/scale and layout" setting.

If scale and layout set anything but the "%100" it display wrong.Untitled-4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the eraser tool and at the top of the screen in the grey bar there is a dropdown that says "Mode" make sure this is set to Block and this should stop the offset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as everyone else - using Block does not stop the offset bleeding either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. This is a scaling issue. On an High DPI monitor (in my case a Surface Pro screen) apps are scaled to ensure legibility of text in menus etc.. You can control this in Windows settings, my setting is 200%. However, this also scales the effectiveness of the tool used, be it the eraser, the clone stamp or a brush, which then exceeds the limit of the tool circle in accordance with the scale setting. When I set my scale to 100% the tool circle is perfectly well behaved. The menus and icons however are tiny. I have tried several settings and combinations through the properties menu for photoshop.exe to no avail. I guess it's something we need to live with until Adobe fixes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah...well, it's now two years since your post and we're still living with it. I'm having the same problem as all describe here - a PC with hi-res display that initially made my menus impossibly small. Fixed that issue, now this. Really frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines