Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eraser tool not erasing on iPad [Locked]

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Note from moderator: Thread locked. See last post for explanation.]

Hi! I am a baby to photoshop, only downloading it about three days ago on my iPad Pro. At first everything was working perfectly, but now my eraser has stopped working. Instead of erasing, it rather paints and distorts the image, and sometimes does nothing at all.

I've seen many solutions to this when working with PC photoshop but nothing for the iPad, and I am still confused on how it all works. If anyone can help at all that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First make sure that you have the right eraser tool selected; there are three of them.

image.png

A handy thing to do with any tool that isn't working as you expect it to is to highlight it in the Tools panel. Then right click on the tool icon in the Options bar and choose to reset it.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I am a complete novice with all things Adobe. 

I have the erase icon but when I click on it it highlights but absolutely nothing happens, the highlight icon works. I have no idea what I am doing wrong please help!

thanks, Ben

Ben24744996bg1p_0-1654505051509.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, you are showing us a PDF dovument open in a web browser.  Are you trying to edit that PDF in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Trevor said, the PDF was created by Microsoft so Adobe was never involved. What is your question and which Adobe application are you hoping to use?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your messages..

As mentioned I’m no techie.. how do I open this file as a pdf and not via a web browser?

Essentially I just need to erase some text using the erase icon, if someone could please provide the steps to do this.

Thank you for your help.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ben888888888888888 wrote:
how do I open this file as a pdf and not via a web browser?

Download the file to your downloads folder, then open it.

If you have Acrobat DC Pro, you can remove the text two ways:

If you want to use Photoshop the eraser tool will erase to the Background color.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@teearmy wrote:

I am a baby to photoshop, only downloading it about three days ago on my iPad Pro....

...now my eraser has stopped working. 

Sorry, I just read your first message that the eraser is not working on your iPad. What are your settings? See my screenshot. Include part of your image where it's not working. 

FFAAE9D1-E125-4E0B-ACA2-1856A921702D.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane – thanks for your message. I’m using a Microsoft Surface Pro 7.. I’ve just tried to find Adobe by doing a search and can’t find the app at all.

I’m guessing that is why it’s opening on the web? Do you need Pro before you can edit a document then? I’m assuming it costs money to get Adobe and Adobe Pro on your computer too? Apologies for the very basic questions am not much of a techie 😉

Sent from Mail<> for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

I don't use a Microsoft Surface Pro, but found this answer on the Microsoft site:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/adobe-acrobat-dc-for-surface-pro-x/b5692cf0-89...

"I’m assuming it costs money to get Adobe and Adobe Pro on your computer too?"

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Adobe and Adobe Pro"? Adobe is a company that makes a lot of software.

Your first post said you are on an iPad and now you are saying it's a Surface Pro. Can you clarify?

Adobe does have a free 7-day trial of their applications so you can see if it works. Be sure to cancel before the trial is over if you don't want to continue it or if it doesn't work.

Adobe Acrobat DC Pro

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/complete-pdf-solution.html

Photoshop Photography plan (and All Apps Creative Cloud)

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Photoshop for iPad (billing is from Apple not Adobe)

App Store (you already have this)

• If you want to use Acrobat to delete or redact the information, you need Acrobat, not the free Reader
  • If you want to use PS for iPad and the eraser tool still isn't working, see my earlier post.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane - thanks again for your message really helpful.

I’m almost to the bottom of it don’t think I have an active subscription to adobe which is probably the problem!

Next stage is trying to buy it… I’ve spoken to adobe and they recommended Acrobat export to be able to edit pdfs (which I need to do). However I type that in and it comes up with acrobat standard dc. I just want a one off don’t really want a monthly subscription either, any suggestions please? Thanks, Ben

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ben888888888888888 wrote:
I just want a one off don’t really want a monthly subscription either, any suggestions please?

Hi Ben,

Adobe does sell a perpetual subscription for Acrobat. It's called Acrobat 2020. Unfortunately they hide the information very well and I always have trouble finding it even though I know it exists. 

I don't know if Acrobat 2020 will run on your Surface Pro. It definitely won't run on your iPad. Acrobat Standard does not have Redaction. Once again, get the trial first to make sure it runs on your computer and does what you want. Cancel before the free trial is over if it doesn't.

This link tells you how to install and gives you the system requirements if you already have Acrobat:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/acrobat-downloads.html

New features here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/whats-new-acrobat-2020.html

Comparison of versions here (tabs for pro and standard at the top)

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/pricing/compare-versions.html

FAQs here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/faq-acrobat-2020.html

Resources here:

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/resources.html

And I've finally found the Buy Now page!

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog.html#category=pdf

Overview:

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/complete-pdf-solution.html

I don't use Adobe Acrobat Export PDF because I have Acrobat DC Pro. I found this FAQ:

https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/faq/adobe-exportpdf-faq.html

Lots of information here, and I hope it helps!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is now locked. The OP asked about the Eraser tool on the iPad. One answer came back about the Eraser tool on Desktop, then another poster asked about the Eraser tool on PDFs (it's only for comments.) Only one comment addressed the Eraser tool on iPad.

Please start a new thread if you have a question about the Eraser tool.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines