• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message : the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions - macOS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

So I just updated to to the new OS and I started up Photoshop cc just fine. But when I double click on a smart object to update it, it opens it up the file (Which is a drag and drop vector file from Illustrator) and I try saving the changes I get an error message. 

"Could not update smart object files because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file. If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder."

I always drag and drop vectors for Illustrator to Photoshop files and edit the smart object when I needed to but I never encountered this problem before. Can anyone help?

Ive already tried to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop, i've tried using a old version of Photoshop, I made sure the "Always Create smart objects when placing" is checked in prefernces and I also tried unlocking the adobe folder and made sure that I have access to the files but still nothing works. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

It works when you do this workaround:
In the Finder, launch System Preferences and navigate to
Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Full Disk Access. Click the lock icon in the lower left, enter your admin username & password. Click the + icon and add Photoshop to grant access to your hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known  issues in Photoshop 20.0.6 and higher on Catalina. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Next time Apple pushes out a significant new OS , you would do well to wait a month and exercise some due diligence beforehand by testing it on a 2nd partition.   If necessary, revert to your older OS and stay there.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definitely hold off from updating in the future. Thank you the feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are November 18th and there has been many Photoshop CC updates recently.

Can Adobe guarantee that now we can install Catalina and then work using Photoshop CC without encountering any more problems with it?

The tests are all significant and there is no more risk using the latest version of Photoshop CC with Catalina?

It's been some time now that we are waiting......

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works when you do this workaround:
In the Finder, launch System Preferences and navigate to
Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Full Disk Access. Click the lock icon in the lower left, enter your admin username & password. Click the + icon and add Photoshop to grant access to your hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This helped and worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I was able to share it with you as this was driving me nuts as well 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was driving me crazy...amongst other things with the Catalina update. Should have listened to my instincts and kept ignoring those pesky update prompts. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am not a professional like all the rest of those that write here but can say that I have had

my own set of problems as well ever since Catalina update.  I thought one 'should' update when

getting the message to do so....as a Senior,  I am too quick I guess to beleive.

Now am trying to incorporate CCloud fonts on my image and that's not working at all and since

I can feel a 'Meltdown' coming, will sign off.  Tomorrow is another day, there is just so much to

learn...wouldn't it be GREAT if one had a "Hal The Computer" to talk to and solve problems with,

rather than writing and calling.  Cheers !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be marked as the solution.

Especially as the link in the actual solution does not even mention this issue.

Thank you martinah...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, nickb. I stumbled over it as this was driving me nuts as well and I read an article about all known Adobe vs. Catalina troubles and there was a section with video export problems and this was the workaround for that as well. I don't really know who is able to remark the right solution as I discovered it after this was marked as "resolved", but would be great to help everyone with this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget an update has been issued to fix some of the problems:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At time of posting, not this one, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is my Photoshop app grayed out when I try to add it to Full Disk Access then? Yes, I'm admin and yes, I unlocked before trying to add it. HELP! This has caused such catastrophic issues for me – I'm doing this all day and night and I cannot Save for Web from Photoshop??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This should be marked as the solution."

There can be more than one correct answer with this new forum interface. Since the OP sarahw98596663 said "Thank you so much! This helped and worked perfectly!" to martinah75941182 , I have marked that correct in addition to the one already marked. We don't know who marked the other reply correct, so we need to hear from Sarah before unmarking that one if she thinks it is in error.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I figured it out! Thank you for the solution martinah75941182

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, Jane-e, this is NOT a correct solution. It is now January 28, 2020, and I am trying to use the latest updates to Catalina and Photoshop, and this solution does not work. I'm STILL getting this Adobe Save for Web Error. I tried the workaround. I uninstalled then re-installed Photoshop, Nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I am new to the forums. I wasn't sure how to remark the correct solution. I don't even know how it created the original "solution"... 

I can update if you can tell me how to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sarah, this is new forum software, and for a while only moderators could mark something correct. You (as the original poster) should see a line underneath each post that let's you click "Like",  "Correct Answer", etc. There can be more that one correct answer.

If you don't see it, please let us know!

• We can mark it for you if you tell us what to do and
  • We can report that the issue has not yet been fixed.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this work if I have CS5 version 12.1 x 64 if I update to OS Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not upgrade to Catalina. CS products will not work properly if at all.

Only CC 2019 and 2020 are Catalina certified by Adobe.

Here is the reference link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just followed these steps. It said to quit Photoshop before it will have access. I did that after following these steps and still get the same result of the Save for Web (legacy) giving me an error. Tried restarting my machine as well. Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 3.47.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank you very much!!! This was such an easy fix thanks to you!

(Worked on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me. Photosop already has full disk access but I still can't edit smart objects. Does anyone know if there's another work around? Mac OS Monterey 14.6.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines