• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Every Yearly update resets my photoshop entirely.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As title states. All my actions and workflow set up gets reset to default EVERYTIME. How do I avoid this and WHY is this something that is done by default?! Seriously? I have never selected anything that would reset user preferances and why would that even be an option?? Who is in charge of UX and why do they still have a job? Losing my actions is like Lightroom update deleting presets cmon.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

In your Creative Cloud Desktop app, either when you manually click to update an app or by clicking Manage auto-updates in the upper right, select Import previous settings and preferences. You can also decide whether or not you'd like to select Remove older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Creative Cloud Desktop app, either when you manually click to update an app or by clicking Manage auto-updates in the upper right, select Import previous settings and preferences. You can also decide whether or not you'd like to select Remove older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Still curious as to why thats not just on by default. Who in the head office decided that its better for the user to have their photoshop that they spent time customizing automatically reset to default? Like is having a bad UX better for business or what guys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People who don't regularly use Ps are the ones making those decisions. Welcome to the new era.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just started Photoshop and it is also completly reseted. I do have Import previous settings and preferences checked so I have no idea what is going on and why...if I will have to readd everything that I have been doing and changing in preferences that is horrible...

it is photoshop 24 release...

is three a way to import all settings from some cloud since it was checked to import prev. settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save out your actions from the Actions panel. Keep them in a safe place, then you can always reload them.

If you don't save them out, actions, brushes etc are stored in the preference folder in your user account. Every new version starts with a clean user account. You can migrate preferences when you update, but keep in mind that preferences are prone to corruption because they are rewritten on every application exit. An irregular shutdown can corrupt them, and errors accumulate. A corrupt prefs file can cause strange and erratic behavior.

So it might actually be a good idea to start with clean sheets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely great advice! This is really unintuitive though. When you create an action, brush, whatever. IT IS SAVED LOL. Why should ANY user ever have to go a step further than saving it on what they use? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James, yes, this is what we've been asking Adobe for decades. And now that we have preset syncing in the cloud, that our tools aren't being auto-saved is even more of a frustrating mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I geuninely think the person heading UX should lose there job. Every update is a disaster of unmentioned features nobody asked for. Like the spring loaded tool that will swap back to the previous one if you don't press and hold the key. Like the difference is pressing a different key who tf at adobe was like YO people will love this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines