• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Execute from external drive

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep running out of space on my 128GB SSD OS (C:)  when I use my Adobe apps heavily. I have a hybrid system with a 1T drive thats partitioned into 3 drives. I want to remove these programs and use them from the  partitioned drive but for some reason I can't have the executable programs and the scratch disks on the same drive. My question is below.  Thank you

Can I run my Adobe Apps eg. Photoshop, Animate, Premiere Pro etc. from my external drive?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm afraid not, the applications need to be installed on a local drive, you should really consider purchasing a larger capacity SSD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1tb-ssd-Internal-Solid-State-Drives/s?k=1tb+ssd&rh=n%3A430505031

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  I didn't think about that since I'm not at a professional capacity when it come to Photoshop and other Adobe products.  My system memory is maxed out at 16GB 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The installed programs aren't the issue here. It's the Photoshop scratch disk. You can move that elsewhere in Preferences.

Raster image editing requires a huge amount of temporary storage, much more than any RAM you may have installed. So this temporary working data are written to disk, and that's the scratch disk. Think of the scratch disk as Photoshop's main memory, and RAM as a fast access cache.

To operate efficiently, Photoshop needs around 100 - 500 GB free disk space (depending on the size of your files and how many you have open).

Other applications may have similar requirements, although it may be called something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. It makes very good sense.The problem is that my SSD with my OS on it has all the adobe apps and my scratch disks are on my internal 1T hard drive.  It's my SSD that keeps running out of room because of other files being created and stored stored there by Adobe. I will definitely use the information you have provided. I will check my scratch disk settings again as well as take a look at my pagefile settings.

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines