• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export As does not work inside an action

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Export As on its own it works fine except you can not Convert to Adobe RGB, only sRGB.

When you create an action with the Export As function it appears to work by actually exporting the jpeg file to my selected folder, however in the action drop down it never enters any action steps and therefore when you play the action back it does not export the file, strange.

I tried the same with Save for Web legacy and it works fine.

It seems strange that Adobe are promoting this feature to replace Save for Web and it has this problem.

Any ideas anyone?

After contacting Adobe support the support tech downloaded various files from my Mac running Mojave with the latest photoshop CC loaded in order to get his senior tech to investigate my problem.

They have just answered me to confirm it is not a problem, thats the way the application works, 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean File > Export > Export As? That function was never recordable since its introduction, at least from what I know. Use Save for Web (Legacy) instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general Actions have limited saving capabilities.  You  should a Batch processes like Adobe's Images Processor script to run you Actions do what you want in the action and have the Batch processor do the saving of your output files. The Script will use "Save As" not "Export". Export is use for saving images for the web and has limits for what one can save.  Export is not something you generally want to use when automating Photoshop steps in Actions unless you know all you documents sizes will work with Export.  Actions can not test document size and all steps settings are fixed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just received this email from Adobe suppotr

We would like to inform you that export as function can't be included in Action but converting profiles from RGB to sRGB can be included under assign profile option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There a big difference between  assign profile and convert to profile.  You use assign when the document has no color profile and you know what color space the color values in the document  are for in the images you can assign the proper  Profile to the document. Get it wrong the colors will be wrong. Yo can keep assigning profiles till you get it Right.   Convert is as the its name converts the color values in the current space  to the value they would be in the other color space you are converting  to and  assigned that color space profile to the document. 

You can not record Export As in an action however you can insert the menu item file>Export>Export as... into an Action.  The strange ins the action you will see This:

image.png Select <unknown> menu item

Yet when the Action step is played an interactive Export As dialog opens

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why do they even allow it to be part of a script? Been using this app for 20+ years and pretty sure it worked that way before, but now I'm finding like you it doesn't. What is wrong with Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export As can not be included in script. See link below posted by @r-bin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that limits its use when there is no need to maintain it. If someone wants to use it and it breaks what they are doing that is on them. Why limit the rest of us based on a perceived use case. For my purposes I generally have graphics for documents and other uses that are saved as PDFs, these PDFs need to be changed over to PNGs and actions made that easy to do in bulk. While is it true that I can do it inside Illustrator I feel that the quaility of a PNG from Illustrator is not as good as one from Photoshop. So because someone decided for me that I should not be doing something I have to convert them one by one. Thanks Adobe for making me less productive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"save a copy..." can be recorded, but this breaks the colors in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines