• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export as to export png moves the image on the canvas

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior but I have a png with transparency. It's meant to be use as a texture for a 3D asset so both the transparency and it's exact placement on the canvas is very important. I've been using the file>export>export as to generate my pngs but am finding that the resulting png changes the location of the pixel information on the canvas. Everything shifts towards to middle. How/where can I manage this 'feature'?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real solution for this problem is:

1. Go to the File menu
  2. Export
  3. Layers to Files...
  4. Turn On the checkbox for "Visible Layers Only"
  5. Turn Off the checkbox for "Trim Layers" in the case is checked
  6. Click in the button "Run"

With this all the layers are exported as individual transarent files at the directory you have choosen and every object in the layer are positioned in the same position as if in the original canvas at your Photoshop's work area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed the solution, however it creates an extra step for people that need to have the image exported at 300DPI since the export layers to files only exports at 72 DPI. They fixed the "export as" function which did the same but the export layers to files continues to ignore the DPI resolution that is in the file 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay here's what worked for me and I didn't see it posted previously.

1, open a transparent layer

2, paint bucket it completely with a color

3, drop its opacity to 0

4, group the 0 opacity layer with the layer/s you want to export

5, done

It seems photoshop registers the 0 opacity layer as mattering, a shape, even though it's invisible.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops don't celebrate yet... If you need to use the png as a layer in another project it doesn't work. The problem recreates itself.

Now the pngs display as I want them — it the image in a set location on the transparency. The thumbnail reflects this, when I open it it is correct. 

But when I go to paste that png as a layer in another document, it centers my image!

Even if I copy and paste the same layer within the same psd file — the pasted image is centered. So one thumbnail reflects proper position, while the "duplicated" image centers.

That centering behaivor travels with the document. I tried all locking mechanisms, vector mask, the opacity dropped to zero accompanying page that worked on export. 

I even made a path to AI, opened in illustrator, and found — a hovering square delineated in the center of the document where the image kept appearing in the psd file?

Maybe this is the smoking gun for anyone who knows. I'm brand new to illustrator.

Maybe this is my doing and mistake but I've never experienced it before.

Somebody?

I tried to lock it in place with icon that says (keep your ima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a potential solve for this. I was having same issue when exporting placement titles as png for video, and export would either trim the transparent pixels, or when adjusting canvass size would repostion them as centered. A work around if you want to do batch exports is: 

Make layers you want to export visible and hide anything you don't want exported then:

1. Choose File > Export > Export Layers To Files.
  2. Uncheck trim to layers
  3. Check transparency
  4. Export

This seems to keep things in same position as placed on layer, although have not stressed tested extensively yet.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines