• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export layer comps to file are producing huge files.

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to export a layer comp as a jpg I get a rediculously big file. If the psd is 40-60mb the layer comps are 15-30mb as opposed to a few hundred kb. Is this a glitch ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jaf,

Which version Photoshop are you using?

What are the export settings for the Layer comp you're exporting?

Does it make any difference if you play with the "quality" of the export?

Image result for export layer comps to files photoshop size

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, i'm using Photoshop CC 2017.

And when I play with the quality of the export, it doesnt change a thing. All my exports are also 15mb and they look corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please record a video of the same or post few screenshot sequentially illustrating the issue?

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that i've made more tests, the problem seems to occur only when i choose the JPG format... weird!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing the issue behavior. Does this happen with specific PSD file?

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After November CC update of Photoshop Export Layer Comps refused to function on my machine. I have just updated CC to January Photoshop version. Same file exports fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this still a problem? I am trying to export a few layer comps and I am getting file sizes of 535 MB. Only work around is to select and save each layer comp with the Save as option in file menu. File> Save as > Photoshop Pdf> hiqh quality Print preset>un-check Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities> Press save PDF. This brings the file size down to 4 MB but waste so much time when I have multiple layer comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use to have the same issue. Exporting my 300x250 layer comps to files produced huge 22 MBjpegs. Then it just went away. I'm guessing because of an update. But it has appeared again with the 19.1.2 update. The strange thing is, if I export to jpeg at any setting, the jpeg is 21.69 MB. If I export to PNG, the file is 22 KB. Not sure whats going on but hopefully this gets resolved soon since this puts a road bump into my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, export is broken for layer comps to files (20MB files each time), and I am tired of resetting Photoshop settings, every time it starts behaving crazy. So I pay for full package and issues are multiplying. What is wrong with this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only fix i have found is to create a new file the same size, drag everything into the new file & recreate layer comps (which can be very time consuming) and save that new file over the old one. And this usually only works until i drag a new image into my file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been experiencing the same issue. Massive file sizes when exporting layer comps to jpgs. It's ridiculous. Each file is about 25MB! Photoshop CC 2019 20.0.4 Release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been noticing it lately as well but didn't recognize it until today. I was building a series of banners and exporting comps. Each layer comp from the 320x50 up to the 480x320 is 69.8MB as a JPEG. I thought it was a weird caching issue with Animate that my files were 200-500MB per Animate .fla file but this makes total (ridiculous) sense. 

C'mon Adobe... how is this a feature that has worked for years but suddenly breaks and nobody bothers to fix it after three releases?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

layercomps export as jpg file

File
File size 54.76 MiB (57,415,145)
Format JPEG TrueColor (v1.1)
Width 4872
Height 2250
Dimension 11 Mpixels
# of bits 24
Color model RGB
DPI 72 x 72
Compression JPEG
Progressive mode No
Sub-sampling 1x1,1x1,1x1
Description sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Manufacturer IEC http://www.iec.ch
Model IEC 61966-2.1 Default RGB colour space - sRGB
Copyright Copyright (c) 1998 Hewlett-Packard Company

Opening this file in the HEX editor gives a lot of junk that normal (export for web) JPG's doesn't have

"

<rdf:li>xmp.did:CFF6BE58F16AE01192EAF073B3C41BED</rdf:li> <rdf:li>xmp.did:CFF6EB860E20681195FE90A8A4AD6154</rdf:li> <rdf:li>xmp.did:CFF722834232E1118882EB665DF16F6A</rdf:li>

"

what's going on there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the 2023 version 24.4.1 and this is still a problem. When exporting layers to files all my jpgs are at least 24 mb at a Quality 10. If I changes to png the file size is around 3 mb, but only for some of the files. The rest are still huge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the file contain excessive Ancestors metadata?

Please check 

File > File Info > Raw Data

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does. I did not think of that 🙂

defaultebupcrsn61cq_2-1682336341259.png

As far as I know, it is not possible to "export layer to file" and choose "JPG" in Photoshop without this data?

It does however solve the problem, when exporting the same files to JPG with Bridge, if I uncheck the box "include original metadata"

This takes the file from 25 mb to 460 kb. 

defaultebupcrsn61cq_1-1682336300481.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Script presented in this thread before exporting – are the resulting jpgs smaller? 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/inflated-jpg-file-size-photoshop-docu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes - awesome. That did the trick. All files went from 25mb to a max og 480kb. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines