• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting animated gif - limiting to the size of artboard

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export an animated gif in Photoshop CC (File > Export> Save for Web) but there seems to be a lot of blank space around the actual animation (which fills the artboard completely). There aren't any elements exceeding the bounds of the artboard, and I've masked the background image so that it's size matches the artboard.

It's been a while since I've done this, I feel like I'm probably overlooking something simple. Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blank Space?  Transparent space  or a solid color border.  The canvas size of the animated gif should be the same size as your document's canvas size or the size you resize the animated gift to.  Save for web does not trim transparency or color borders.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's transparent space.

I can't find anything that would extend outside of the artboard, yet it seems to be happening. See screenshots of the export frame and viewing the gif in Chrome. (Sorry they are limited, I'm not able to share the full item.)

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 7.38.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-06 at 7.37.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for web has problems with artboards, probably because it’s old and developed before there were artboards. I’m guessing that the exported animated gif is increasing in size because it is ignoring the mask on the background image. Export As was developed to work with artboards, but unfortunately it doesn’t do animated gifs, at least not yet. I think you need to move all of the elements out of the arboard and delete the artboard. Then crop your document if needed to the size required. I expect that save for web will work fine after you do this. Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes a lot of sense.. What is the best way to go about removing everything from the artboard - just create a new, properly sized  doc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag all the layers in the layer panel out of the artboard, or you can duplicate the layers into a new document created at the correct file size. That might be the easiest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would advice to use Export > Artboards to Files, and then record and action and apply to all these files. To my pity, animation doesn't work with artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi the answer is delete the artboard you have created a gif the an artboard simply right click ungroup artboard this will allow you to keep all your work and not have to redesign the creative again once you have done this you can then crop the gif to the right size I hope this helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this fixed everything! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run into this same issue frequently and found a fix. Before going to export > save for web (legacy), click on you art board. On the toolbar along the top of the viewer there will be a small gear (set art board behaviors). Check mark the box shrink wrap canvas on save. This will make for a smooth export. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dude....i have never had this forum adobe has actually provide the answer to what i was looking for. like literally ever, so thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a time-saver! If you are looking for the answer to this, this response is the quickest and easiest way to solve the artboard gif sizing issue! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this still work in the newest version of Photoshop? I can't find the gear/set artboard behaviours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Igorne my comment - found it right after I posted 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines