Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting: Color Question

Engaged ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Now I wish I could be more forthcoming, but this project is entertainment so I can't really reveal too much. 

I just created four master sizes from 2 primary assets: vertical and horizontal. The horizontal once re-sized for the masters exported just fine. The verticals when exported came out gray.

Now, I used Save For Web (because it's fast) - JPG at 100% for quality for both. The horizontal ones turned out to match fine. The verticals turned out greyish...? In a band-aid sort of response, I clicked on match monitor sRGB and it worked. But...wha...? 

Both color profiles of each source file were that sRGB with the crazy long number. I can't tell why one exported with color loss and the other didn't. Mind you, both were previously flattened without a whole lot of adjustment layers, so they weren't complex. 

Why would that happen? Any guesses? I hate that this snuck up on me. I have never seen something like this sine like...2007. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked on match monitor sRGB and it worked. But...wha...? 

What exactly did you select? Soft Proof>Monitor RGB? That indicates what the image would look like outside Photoshop without color management which isn't what you want. Sounds like those images are somehow untagged or have the incorrect color space. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sounds like missing profile (untagged), or incorrect profile.

Safe For Web needs a little care in setting up, because it has all color management turned off and disabled by default. These are the settings to watch:

sfw.png

The "preview" setting is the one that most often trips people up. This is where you enable display color management, so that the SFW dialog displays correctly.

"Embed profile" should always be checked, no exception, and "convert to sRGB" should normally be checked for web use.

And yes, as digitaldog says, "Proof to Monitor RGB" turns off all display color management in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody,

Thanks so much for all your responses. I think this kind of sums things up a bit. 

So basically if you don't setup your color profile in Save-for-web it's a crap shoot on what you're doing for color management on export. Is that realtively accurate? That and so if the color export comes out askew for any reason, lock it down by assigning it to the document profile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is LESS of a crap shoot if you tag the sRGB data as sRGB. It's always a crapshoot as you can't control how others see what you post to the web. If you want to know more....

sRGB urban legend & myths Part 2

In this 17 minute video, I'll discuss some more sRGB misinformation and cover:

When to use sRGB and what to expect on the web and mobile devices

How sRGB doesn't insure a visual match without color management, how to check

The downsides of an all sRGB workflow sRGB's color gamut vs. "professional" output devices

The future of sRGB and wide gamut display technology

Photo print labs that demand sRGB for output

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMythsPart2.mp4

Low resolution on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvVUL1gWVs

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool, I won't have time today but I'll have to check this out tomorrow for sure. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I imagine some of those files may be missing embedded ICC profiles.

Are you viewing in Photoshop after "save for web"? 

In 'save for web' you have to be extra careful to check 'embed profile'. It's hard to imagine why this is not set as the default as it’s a mistake that pretty much comes up every few days here . 

Clicking on proof / monitor RGB is not a solution, that’s basically disabling Photoshop's colour management. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines