Exporting via JPG/PNG blurs narrow black spikes into a black block

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have created an image in Photoshop that has multiple narrow black vertical lines, but when I try to export, it just blurs together.

spike_source.pngspike_blurred.png

Any ideas what settings have to be changed and why?

Big thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the pixel size before and after?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Strange .. image in photoshop is 7200 x 4800 with 300ppi .. after export to jpg it is 72 ppi.

Think you might be onto something.

Again big thanks for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ppi doesn't matter. How many pixels? That's the important part, that's what determines how much information your file contains. If you downsampled considerably, there aren't enough pixels to carry that information.

Pixels per inch is just a way to translate the available pixels in the file into a physical print size. It's a measure of pixel density on paper. Pixels per inch - it means exactly what it says.

Since Export is intended for web/screen/mobile devices, the ppi number is just stripped from the file. It's not needed. When you reopen the file into Photoshop, a default ppi number is assigned for other reasons, and that just happens to be 72 in Photoshop. In other apps it may be 96 or some other number.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

For the export file I still have the same resolution 7200 x 4800 but with 72 ppi.

I thought of attaching a minimal version of the file, this would help to create a repeatable error from your side.

When creating this (flattening the image) I hit the same block color issue .. I have eventually narrowed the problem down to color overlay .. if this is on I get the block of color for an export or flattening- without it I can see the spikes. Given this insight, I can add color to the layers in a different way.

Without your nudging, I wouldn't have even been close to a work-around.

All good now.

Thanks - much appreciated 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines