external ssd drives

Participant ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currenty using treblett 1T external SSD drive with macbook pro 2019.

I have an 2-external monitors hooked to macbook as well.

Was editing some photos from nikon 850 and notice that on more than one occassion the drive wouldn't save file due to power failure. Luckly PS would recover the images but the drive is certainly not reliable.

Curious if anyone else out there is editing large ps files or video via external SSD drive with same multiscreen setup. I need to find another solution. Thank. Owen

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Owen,

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry for the trouble with Photoshop. We are here to help.

Could you please share the version of Photoshop from Help > About Photoshop? Have you tried copying the document to the internal drive to work on before opening and saving it from Photoshop on the external drive?

When you work directly from external drives/removable media, problems with performance, damaged files, and incomplete saved documents are expected due to additional layers of hardware and software added to the workflow. Please check this article to learn more to ensure stable operations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

You can ensure Photoshop has the permissions needed on the Mac by following the steps here with a video (https://bityl.co/BsB1). Afterward, proceed with the below-mentioned steps.

1. Search for Disk Utility from Finder's spotlight search or magnifying glass.
  2. Run 'First Aid' diagnostic on the external drive. Check this to learn more: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210898
  3. Restart the computer.

Let us know if this helps,

Thanks!

Sameer K

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@owenpga2 wrote:

Curious if anyone else out there is editing large ps files or video via external SSD drive with same multiscreen setup. I need to find another solution. 

I do this, images on external SSD with multiple displays, through a Thunderbolt hub. It is probably not a Photoshop or Mac problem; the first thing to look at is trying a different cable. The next thing to try is a different enclosure for the SSD. It should work.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines