• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

extreme lag with zoom and pan using magic trackpad

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a iMac (Late 2015 version) with 32 gigs of ram, running Monterey 12.3.1 and using Photoshop 23.2.2.

I've been on Photoshop for decades and recently started having huge problems with unresponsive, slow, laggy, jerking zooms using the apple magic trackpad 3. The problem also exists for panning but not as bad. I'm not sure if this started with an update because I have auto update turned on, but it has been at least a month and maybe longer. If I zoom on the trackpad, fist nothing really happens, and then I will try to zoom some more and it will start to jerk around, so I then stop touching the trackpad, but the image continues to start to zoom and jump around, then jump a few steps into a zoom and lag and then jump zoom a little more, taking perhaps 5 seconds after I've stopped touching the trackpad, before finally settling down to the static zoomed image again. It's as if I'm trying to zoom on an ancient computer with no ram and on a gigabyte sized file. I've tried turning off animated zoom and all the other suggestions that people have posted about this issue. The only way I can effectively zoom is by using the zoom tool or quick key combination to click zoom - which works as it should. I do not have this issue with zooming in Illustrator or InDesign using the trackpad.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I've tried downgrading Photoshop to older versions and had no luck until I made it to 22.5.0 - which has fixed the problem. But this is not an acceptable solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are Rulers on or off when you see this lag? In Preferences > Technology Previews, what is checked/enabled there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. No, rulers are not on. Also, I had already read about this possible solution, so I had clicked "Deactivate Native Canvas" and unclicked "Enable Native Cavas Rulers." Also, I just updated to 23.3 and the problem still persists. I am able to work in PS 2021 though without problem, and am currently at 22.5.7. However any of the levels of PS 23 have this issue, making it unuseable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ramseyd2063989 ,

I am sorry you're having this slow experience.  Could you share with us your work, i.e. a PSD, where the zoom tool runs slowly?  Our engineers can look at the code and better diagnose what's causing the slowdown.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Andrew Sender , I have this issue on literally every file I use in 2022 version of Photoshop. Even if I make a new blank file, fill it with some noise or brush marks and then use the trackpad to zoom or scroll, it jumps around with tremendous lag, even continuing to jump around long after I've stopped touching the trackpad. However, I have no issues at all using the 2021 version of Photoshop (I have both on my computer and both are up to date (23.3.1 and 22.5.7 respectively).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are two videos of trackpad zooming with photoshop 23.3.1 and then 22.5.7

https://youtube.com/shorts/d0hxmVXv0b4?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/1QbNkDTLy1M?feature=share

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @ramseyd2063989 ,

Thank you for sharing those videos.  Those are very helpful.  I've messaged other Photoshop developers to look at your videos to better understand the zooming issue.  We know a number of customers are experiencing similar issues.

-Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines