• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extremely frustrated with laggy Photoshop on Windows 10. optimal preferences for my pc?

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edit: i turned off Generator. it works fine now. wtf

I feel like ever since I got CC, Photoshop has been painfully slow with larger files on my PC. My work computer, a 2016 iMac, has 0 issues with lag and I use a lot of layers most of the time. On my PC, as soon as I go over 35 layers, even very basic layers (no blend modes, styles, smart objects, etc) the lag is so frustrating that is slows down my process significantly as an illustrator. I have nothing else running, I've tried disconnecting from the internet, I've used both my work CC account and my personal CC account, and reducing the pixel size of the file. Currently working on a file thats 3000 x 1500 px, 300 dpi, 60 mb, which wold have no problems on a standard, older iMac. I have purged as well. Does Adobe just optimize better for Apple? I don't wanna have to buy a macbook just to make Photoshop enjoyable.

PC specs (built last year):
-Latest Windows 10 (updated last night)
-Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6 core-EVGA Z370 FTW ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
-Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
-Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB m.2 2280 NVME SSD
-EVGA GeForce GTW 1060 6GB Video Card
-4K Dell monitor
-I also use the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro as my pen display tablet
Do I need something better here? ^^

I am looking to see if anyone has found the most optimal performance settings in photoshop that can help with this greatly. Currently mine are:

-Let Photoshop use 87% (26039 MB) I've played with a higher number and no difference
-History states: 14
-Cache levels: 8
-Cache Title Size: 1024K (I've done 1028, no difference)
-Checked Use Graphics prossessor (GeForce)
--Advanced: OpenCL and 30bit are off
-Haven't messed with scratch disks, not really sure how it works, but right now C:\ is active..with 162.02 GB Free space
-Enable Generator is turned on, have zero idea what that is. Can that slow things down?
I've played wth those automatic settings where it optimazes for more layers for smaller files or less layers for bigger files..but I want something for more layers and bigger files.

No idea what else I can play with in preferences, if there's something I'm missing please lemme know!

Some more rambling...I have no lag when I use other creative programs at all, just anything CC. Obviously I have specs that allow me to play games effortlessly without performance issues. I only ever run into issues with CC, and it really confuses me how even with smaller files than what I'm used to doing at work, it still is so slow once I go over 30 layers and I just don't know what settings in PS or my PC I can change to help this. I can do over 100 layers at work and not experience this same kind of lag where Photoshop kind of freezes for 20 seconds before a layer finally moves. It never crashes or completely freezes, just really, really slow response...

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Generator exports layers in real-time, while working on stuff. And it will re-generate assets every time a layer is changed, so it will slow down things.

Since you do not know what Generator does, or what it function is, the short of it is: TURN IT OFF. It should be off by default. Obviously it will slow down things.

Longer story:

https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2013/09/introducing-adobe-generator-for-photoshop-cc.html

Btw, you could have just Googled what it does, or checked out Photoshop's he

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's try this first: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html You may have already gone over some of these tips, but see if there is something you have not tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heya, ive done that in the past, but i think i found a solve? turned off this cc plugin called generator, no idea when that was even turned on to begin with. works perfect for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generator exports layers in real-time, while working on stuff. And it will re-generate assets every time a layer is changed, so it will slow down things.

Since you do not know what Generator does, or what it function is, the short of it is: TURN IT OFF. It should be off by default. Obviously it will slow down things.

Longer story:

https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2013/09/introducing-adobe-generator-for-photoshop-cc.html

Btw, you could have just Googled what it does, or checked out Photoshop's help function, and deduced it is probably not a good idea to keep it turned on unless required for your job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had 0 idea it was even a thing or even turned on, talked to several friends of mine who also had no idea it existed...was this a recent update that they just turned on automatically? I had this problem for awhile but I don't work from home very often, so didn't really look into my lag issues til now since I have to work from home 😛 And yeah, turned it off as soon as i read about it. pretty useless for my needs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting know that solved it for you. as you found out, some PCs have problems with this feature and this gives us one more item to look at.

Glad you are back in business 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The page you linked is dead

2. This is now the number 1 google result and yet another instance of me having to read some jerk telling someone to just google it when I literally came from Google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...You are replying to a two year old post, it wasn't "dead" back then, no one is being a jerk here..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

People who say "just google it" are jerks, 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines