• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Request: Set Ruler Origin Location in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see an option in preferences under Units and Rulers to set the Ruler Origin (0,0) to be in a different location than the top left corner of the artboard, either on a document by document basis, or as a default - maybe with a toggle. A 3x3 grid of radio button selections such as top left, middle left, bottom left; top center, middle center, bottom center; top right, middle right, bottom right would be ideal, but a drop down list would work also. This would save having to zoom waaaaayyy in to the appropriate location and dragging the corner box of the ruler to (hopefully) line up with the exact pixel you're aiming for on each new artboard/file.

If there's already a simple way to do this that I'm unaware of, I'd love to know what it is!

Thanks!

mscureman

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

If you want to submit the radio button/dropdown idea (I'd +1) it you can submit it here:

Adobe Feature Request Form 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Thanks for the feedback, kstohlmeyer! I knew about dragging the upper left corner, but didn't know about the Shift key modifier.  Helpful!

Also, I submitted this as an "Idea" on the feedback forum here:

Set Ruler Origin Location in Preferences, New Document Dialog or Menu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"but the Action did not record my dragging the origin to the lower left corner." The drag or using the arrow keys when the move tool is selected puts Photoshop into a "follow on" or "reusable" action. Instead of recording "move one pixel down" over and over and over again Photoshop keeps track and just ends up with "move 4 pixels down." If you have actions panel recording you can see this, select move tool, move with arrow or mouse, then do something else, like select another layer, and you get two entries in actions panel, the final resting spot of the move and the layer select. If you can get the dimensions and location of the thing you are moving then just move it to "0, x" for left, "x, 0" for top. Does that work?

But I DO like the idea of a command that says, "move to the top" have you played with the alignment options in the move tool bar. Select two layers and pick: "Align vertical centers" that records in the actions panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines