• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File displays completely different creative when opened in Photoshop versus Illustrator or Acrobat

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working in prepress for the sign industry for nealy 15 years and this is a first for me and my collegues. A client sent a vector PDF over for a failry straightforward job. We previewed the file in Acrobat DC and everything seemed fine but it didn't have bleed. So we opened it in Illustrator to add the bleed but the font wasn't outlined and we don't own the particular font in question. So, not wanting to waste time, we dropped it into Photoshop where it opened as a layerd Photoshop PDF. The weird thing is, the creative in Photoshop was a completely different design. When I say different, I mean the font, colors, decorative elements, and even some of the content were all different. The three layers in Photoshop were named in what looks like Chinese charaters whereas in Illustrator there was one layer with several dozen sublayers all with standard english titles.

Original Cretive.jpg

Photoshop Creative.jpg

  

What's more, opening the file in Acrobat and using the Flattener Preview to get around the font issue, when saved as a new PDF, now opened in both Illustrator and Photoshop as the same art (what we origianlly saw in Illustrator and Acrobat). I've attached the file if you want to try it yourself. 

Two questions: Has anyone ever seen a file like this with an otherwise completely hidden file only accessible via a different program? How can this be replicated?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I cannot see why you have two different files in PS and AI, but I did find some things that may help:

ACROBAT

A bit odd that the application is Illustrator but the Producer is PS. The document was created in 2020 before support for Type 1 was removed in Photoshop.

janee_0-1626637294108.png

Type 1 fonts are being deprecated by Adobe and Photoshop has already deprecated them. BebasNeue is Type 1.

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/announcement-end-of-support-postscript-type-1-fonts.html

janee_1-1626637322278.png

The layers panel shows up with one layer. I did not see a second layer (which would have explained it!)

janee_2-1626637386759.png

ILLUSTRATOR

Although a bleed was not set in Illustrator, the red, white, and blue rectangles extend past the edges of the page by 2 pts. It would be easy to add the bleed and resize the solid color rectangles to the bleed lines.

janee_5-1626638973250.png

I tried and failed to Activate BebasNeue in this dialog and in Type > Find Fonts

janee_3-1626637453043.png

ADOBE FONTS

I went directly to Adobe Fonts and typed "Bebas". We know they were using Type 1. Can you use a different version that is not Type 1 and outline the typeface in Illustrator?

janee_4-1626637860302.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ADOBE FONTS

I went directly to Adobe Fonts and typed "Bebas". We know they were using Type 1. Can you use a different version that is not Type 1 and outline the typeface in Illustrator?

janee_4-1626637860302.png

Thank you for all the insight Jane. We did manage to work around the font issue to get it outlined and finish the job. I'm just at a loss trying to figure out exactly how this dual-creative is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you should also post on the Acrobat Forum. 

Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines