Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File lost : black single layer when opening

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently had an issue with a file that I had saved previously and that only displayed one single black "bakground" layer the day after. The size did not change though, it was a pretty big one, roughly 300Mo.
I tried to open it with CSP but to no avail.
The issue happened again a few days after and I lost another one, 400 Mo heavy.

The first issue happened after Windows had crashed while closing, but the second time was perfectly normal.

My Photoshop version is Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.5.1 20210907.r.441 de74e1a x64

After investigating the file with a text editor, everything is black HEX 00.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a .psd file that went wrong?

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry, it is indeed a psd file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I understand correctly that you have a .psd file with multiple layers and then when it crashes and reopen the file, you only get one black background layer? Is that correct?

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two files, your description fits the first one, the crash happened when Windows crashed while closing (can't remember if Photoshop was properly closed but would assume so). The second file has the same issue but without Windows crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you should carefully study the SMART indicators of your hard drive, as well as check it for bad sectors using special utilities. Problems like this are often related to hardware malfunction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did a lenghty chkdsk through Windows and there were some errors but nothing critical

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines