Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Prep For UV Print on Black Base

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Man I am struggling with this. So attached is an image I need to print on black. My UV printer does white, but the gradient is causing me some concern. It was suggested to do two files, my CMYK file, and a white base file, the issue though, is how do i extract just the white when the opcaity is mid range on the black? I can create a spot channel for white, but the original art contains a glow, and when I select just the art in the layer, even with the tolerance at 1, it selects the whole aura of the glow. That will cause my spot channel to print white under the entire marquee. Do I need to flatten the image and extract all black? And then make the remaining pixels my white base? Im so lost on this. Thanks for any help. On the right you can see how the file was originally created. The glow is around the chest, above the body and legs and throughout the hair.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 4.30.02 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image --> Calculations --> Magic!

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get what you saying, but my calculations is grayed out. Do i need to completely flatten it? Its in CMYK. I need deets lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be best to work on a duplicate image. You may or may not need to flatten the duped image to make this easier. You will likely be making a spot channel. The apply image command may be more accessible. I’ll post more later.

EDIT: Is the figure in layers, such as a solid fill/outline, with the shading separate etc?

Here is a quick example of an alpha channel/spot channel built with some Apply Image moves, invert, burn tool, paint brush... It would need more work, this is just an example starting from the red channel of your screenshot. The original layered file would offer more flexibility. You may need to extend or reduce the glow, fix banding, darken the glow to make whiter etc.

white.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue is the original creator made this with the glow feature in Ps. My concern with doing a spot channel with white is that the CMYK overlay wont match up. Ive reduced my choke quite a bit on the printer already and soon im going to start losing sharpness. =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines