Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File restoration

New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I was editing a picture in TIFF format for 2 hours, with automated 10 minute process saving. Then, after reopening I got a message that it didn't exist. I've found it in the folder and there is just one layer saved and other result is not. How can I restore the file with all layers?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably can't recover the image – it's important to save regularly, incrementally named and also save copies externally as well as locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean it needs 10 mins to save, or it will save every 10 mins?

Anyway, I personally won't use automation as I would be afraid something I do could interfere with it. Better to do it manually after every important change (unless it takes 10 mins 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, it's being saved every 10 minutes 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some huge [cursing removed] in some software, I prefer to close w/o saving and reopen. But you'll need a habit of saving at the right times and often.

With automation you could have a huge[cursing removed] and see it saving that 2 secs later if you are unlucky. Sure, often your history may get you out of it. What I prefer depends on what I just did 😛

(Keep your language civil, Signfeld, or risk being banned from the forums)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, got it 🙂 Thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

you should find a file here:

C:\Users\ <replace with your username > \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\<fill in your photoshop version here >\AutoRecover

It should look something like this:

C:\Users\jefbr\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\AutoRecover

If it's not there, I think there is no way to recover it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another "hail mary cross your fingers and hope" thing you can try is:

Again in windows explorer go here:

C:\Users\<fill in your username here>\AppData\Local\Temp

Sort the files by date, find a temp file with a size you think matches to your document (ie, don't bother with the 1KB files) where the date is as close to the moment you lost your file.

Copy/paste that file to your desktop and rename it to pleaseletthiswork.tiff and try opening it in photoshop.

It's a small chance but you might be lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I use iOS:( Have also tried to do the steps written above in my system and can't find these folders 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your description, this is apparently file corruption.

File corruption is always caused by failing hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing is black or white — not even black or white...

File corruption can also be caused by...
- failing software or doing something dumb (the jokes about downloading [removed] in the background exist for a reason, esp. in earlier days). The drives are probably way more prone to this than SSD.

- electricity falling away

- somehow kicking your computer/hard drive is not really failing hardware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last two are failing hardware. The point wasn't what causes it to fail; just that it fails. Another common cause is external drives dangling at the end of flimsy USB wires. One bump can be all it takes.

I suppose it's possible that software can corrupt files; I have just never seen it documented. Lots of people claim that Photoshop corrupts files, but I have never seen confirmation or evidence. Clearly, it can sometimes be very convenient to place the blame somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, actually, there was one incident a couple of years ago, where a PS update could corrupt files under some circumstances. That version was recalled and removed from the servers instantly, within hours of release. Adobe wasted no time there. That's the only one I've heard of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, will try to figure it out 🙂 Anyway, I've started editing from scratch. Thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines