• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File size/dimensions

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a problem with the size of my files. When I create them I choose for exaple 20x20 cm and it seems like it will stay that way, but every time I check and open the file in PS it changes it's size by few mm and unfortunately it's bugging me a lot because my professors say it can't happen. What can I do? I feel like I tried everything and also I can't find reason for it to happen. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop works in pixels. There are no half pixels or any other fractions of a pixel, only whole pixels.

20cm at 300pixels per inch requires 20/2.54 *300 = 2362.204 pixels. As said above you can't have part of a pixel so it has to be rounded up or rounded down.

Rounding down to 2362 pixels at 300ppi gives 19.99cm.

Rounding up to 2363 pixels at 300ppi gives 20.006cm

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what should I do next time? Just work on pixels? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Work in entirely in pixels or use a resolution (ppi or ppcm) value that gives a whole pixel division for your image dimension. For example working at 118 ppcm instead of 300ppi gives exactly 2360 pixels for a 20cm wide document.

Working in a mix of cm, inches(ppi) and pixels is always going to lead to rounding errors. Working with cm , ppcm and pixels can avoid those.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it now and after making in cm I changed to pixels and it still is off my 1 mm 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines