• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Filter > 3d > Generate Normal Map not working suddenly

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in CC 2017, cc says there are no current updates for it, generate normal map is not working.  I did it this morning, doing it for the 2nd time today, without changing any photoshop settings and having closed photoshop this morning and re-opening it just a few mins ago, suddenly generate normal map is not working.  it worked all the time in CC 2015 as well, i recently updated (a day ago) to CC 2017 photoshop.

so what happens is, i will have an 8-bit srgb 600x600px image, i will go to Filter > 3d > Generate Normal Map, I will see the spinning flower pedal wheel that Photoshop uses to show it's processing something, then i will see my 3D tab group, which is nested along with Layers, Channels, Paths, appear to have things appear in it such as "sphere" it all happens so fast that i can't tell what else appears, but it seems like a typical set of things that would appear in the 3D tab when in 3D mode... i believe the other things to be "default camera" or "default material" etc...

my image is black and white, it opens and i'm prompted for dot gain 2.2, i just blow through that dialog box and then once it is opened, i switch the Mode to RGB Color.

PS sorry, so what happens is, all that activity in the 3D tab goes away, so it's at it's default state of "Create new 3d..." the spinning flower pedal wheel goes away and i'm left looking at my black and white image.  history shows nothing other than opening the file, and nothing to undo

HELP!

thanks,

like i said, it worked 1 time this morning.  no other updates have been done to computer, my car, house or business establishment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RZPerforma,

Could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop by following the steps mentioned below:

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you startPhotoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Please, let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work. The dialog box that should appear after you "Generate Normals From Diffuse" or "Generate Bump From Diffuse" doesn't appear. The pictures depict my process. I get to step 3 then I get a loading icon and the program keeps loading.

Step_01.pngStep_02.pngStep_03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what type of nonsense answer is that - reset settings quickly by pressing alt + ctrl + shift and holding.  that does nothing. let me say that again - that is a nonsense answer and IT DOES NOTHING - NO PROMPT OR ANYTHING [Personal abuse removed]. do you work for adobe?  are you going to help me or should i try somewhere else?  i pay monthly for, my whole company pays monthly for many liceneses and i need help.  what else has to be done to get help.

i'd like to file a complain against you to your manager if in fact you do work for adobe.

i've updated to the latest release still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refrain from personal abuse.

Pressing Alt+Ctrl+Shift (or Mac Option +Cmd+Shift) whilst starting Photoshop is a way to open a reset preferences dialogue, particularly if Photoshop cannot be opened. The timing of pressing the keys whilst opening can be tricky though.
An alternative way to reset preferences,if Photoshop is open, is to go to Preferences - General then choose "Reset Preferences on Quit". Then press OK and restart Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Mac Option +Cmd+Shift actually solved my same problem here.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works with me, you are awesome!
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Ctrl+Alt+Shift also worked for me . I didn´t see the normals "sphere tuning window", and now it works! thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me also...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil.Chawla
this works perfectly to reset the preferences 

thank you 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!! It works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines