• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Force OS X to make Export file dialogue go to where .PSD is located?

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!
I open a .PSD on the corporate network. I edit it. I export it as a JPEG and the OS X file dialogue that comes up has me in a completely different folder than where the .PSD is and I have to spend time navigating the server to get to where I just was (and the Recent Places in the file dialogue does not know where I was recently in the Finder). I always want my JPEG right there where the .PSD is. Any way to make OS X default to where a file you opened is located?

Thanks!
Scot

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @scotw74004221 go to your Photoshop preferences/File Handling

You should have "Save As to Original Folder" checked - that will keep it in the same folder.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1677255936211.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This setting is ignored for export but I'm using legacy export, let me see if using the newer export works. Thank you for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a limited number of needed jpg-settings and save-locations (relative to the active image’s location) Scripts could be used to make the task a one-keyboard-shortcut task. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scotw74004221 

The Preferences > File Handling > "Save As to Original Folder" doesn't work for Export As, only Save As.

The Preferences > Export > Export Location for "Export assets to the location of the current document" should do what you require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the OS X file dialogue that comes up has me in a completely different folder than where the .PSD ...Any way to make OS X default to where a file you opened is located?

By @scotw74004221

What version of Photoshop are you using?

Installation of current versions are blocked on OSX, which was last released in 2019. Since then macOS has released 11, 12, and 13.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Operating system macOS Big Sur (version 11.0) or later  macOS Big Sur (version 11)
Installation is blocked on v10.15.x

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any way to make OS X default to where a file you opened is located?

By @scotw74004221

If you asked the question about macOS (instead of Photoshop) because you need to do this in several applications, here’s a tip: If the folder you want is visible or its window is open in the Mac Finder, drag the folder’s proxy icon (in the window title bar or anywhere else you see that folder’s icon), and drop it in the Open/Save/Export dialog box. This sets the dialog box destination to that folder. You can see that you don’t even need to switch to the Finder, just grab the icon when you see it. (Note: As shown below, in macOS 13 Ventura the title bar proxy icon may be hidden by default. If it is, hover the pointer over a window title to reveal the proxy icon.)

macOS set Open Save destination with proxy icon.gif

For more flexibility, you might consider using Default Folder (paid software). It provides many shortcuts to get to recent folders or files, for example it adds menus to Open/Save/Export dialog boxes, with optional keyboard shortcuts and per-application favorite folders/files. If the folder is already open as a Finder window, it can be set as the Open/Save/Export destination by moving the pointer outside the dialog box until the Finder window you want is highlighted, and clicking that. I’ve probably been using Default Folder for over 20 years because it has saved me a lot of clicks and production time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines