• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frequency Separation blurring the image

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I hope you are having a great day!

While retouching I have encountered a small blurring of pixels when I use Frequency Separation...

Has anyone else come across this issue and is there a fix/ am I doing anything wrong?

Kind Regards,

Pandos

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Experiment , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

I have used a variety of actions and tried creating my own. The blur happens on all..

I will try using 16 bpc..

You say 'when performed correctly'.. do you have an action that you would want to share?

Kind regards,

Pandos

By @Pandos

Try my action link in the following topic:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/frequency-separation-high-frequency-layer-isn-t-working/m-p/13709185

Edit: Here it is https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhoal39t9ygl6tt/Frequency%20Splitter%20v4%20Conditional.atn

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a Ps command and there are several ways of doing that. You'll probably need to share exactly what you are doing and when you are seeing this... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 bpc should be lossless when performed correctly.

8 bpc is generally "visually lossless" but yes, there can sometimes be minor softness introduced in some areas for some images, often flat areas with grain/noise when viewed enlarged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If his eye is that good, there are a few methods that claim to have no loss/damage, even after repeated application.

One is the free plugin by Retouch4me.

https://retouch4.me/frequencyseparation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used a variety of actions and tried creating my own. The blur happens on all..

You say 'when performed correctly'.. do you have an action that you would want to share?

Kind regards,

Pandos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind regards,

Pandos

By @Pandos

Try my action link in the following topic:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/frequency-separation-high-frequency-l...

Edit: Here it is https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhoal39t9ygl6tt/Frequency%20Splitter%20v4%20Conditional.atn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have not looked at it on my Eizo yet, but on my mac it looks like it is working!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So how did you go with using 16 bpc mode evaluating on the Eizo? You don't even need a good monitor to test as a difference blend mode test is enough to show no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think all the "original" methods cause damage if no "tricks" are used, IIRC because one of the used blend modes throws away half of the values. I don't know if this is what he sees, as it's subtle stuff... The ones that did find a solution will boast this in a video (Retouch4me, Retouching Toolkit).

Anyway, I'm otherwise not an FS expert...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines