Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fuzzy cutouts with pen tool

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there,

My pen tool seems to have stopped working!
It used to result in clean-cut edges of an object I would cut out from an image and now the edges are all fuzzy. And 'different fuzzy' each time!

I did experiment with feather settings, but have now changed them back to zero, but this didn't bring back the sharpness of the edges (I do have 'anti-aliasing' checked). I'm including screenshots of two post pen tool cut-outs and hoping you can point me to what I can check for to bring the sharpnes back!

MargoM_0-1658751461535.pngMargoM_1-1658751896578.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Why Dissolve? 

Have you tried another, like Normal? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, just realised (although not sure if this'll be relevan/ helpful) - the source image is a TIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, Paths, Properties, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using a Vector Mask? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feather settings will make it blurred, antialiasing will not. I suggest you reset preferences to make sure you cleared out the settings you were playing with. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact steps are you taking to create the mask? Are you using the pen to draw a working path or a shape? Are you creating an alpha mask from the path or a vector mask? Are you making a selection from the path? What are the settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi All,

Thanks for all your replies!
@melissapiccone - I did reset preferences and the strangest thing happened: it seems to have worked for one of the images, but not the other...!
@c.pfaffenbichler - I am tehrefore including a screenshot of the image that is still malfuncioning to your specifications below. (please let me know if there's anything other speacific setting you'd like included)

(Screenshot removed by moderator)

@Theresa J - I don't normally use masks for cutting. Instead, I 'Make Selecion' of the path I have drawn with pen tool and create a new layer by Layer > New > Layer via Copy. I did try cutting out with the use of mask (Layer>Layer Mask> Reveal Selection) but the result was the same (exactly same fuzzy edge).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You forgot the Layers Panel. 

What is the Layer’s Blend Mode? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for rely @c.pfaffenbichler - is 'Belnd mode' the box next to 'Opacity' (in the 'Layers' panel)? If so, it is set to 'Dissolve'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Dissolve? 

Have you tried another, like Normal? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't normally use masks for cutting. Instead, I 'Make Selecion' of the path I have drawn with pen tool and create a new layer by Layer > New > Layer via Copy. I did try cutting out with the use of mask (Layer>Layer Mask> Reveal Selection) but the result was the same (exactly same fuzzy edge).

But Layer Masks are, in my opinion, superior because one can easily amend any weaknesses one might notice later on. 

And if you don’t paint or apply Filters on the Selection/Layer Mask anyway a Vector Mask should serve just as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No reason at all - Dissolve must have been set as default (or perhaps changed when I was playing about with 'feather' settings), I did not purposefully use it.
I have now changed it to normal and... it seems to now be working - sharp edges are back! Thank you @c.pfaffenbichler , you're a genius 🙂

But Layer Masks are, in my opinion, superior because one can easily amend any weaknesses one might notice later on. 

And if you don’t paint or apply Filters on the Selection/Layer Mask anyway a Vector Mask should serve just as well. 

By @c.pfaffenbichler

It is just the way I have been show how to cut out at the start and just stickingto it, I guess. Also - I don't think I can get/ not sure how to get a transparent background around the cut out object with a mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - I don't think I can get/ not sure how to get a transparent background around the cut out object with a mask

If you apply a Layer Mask and hide the background layer/s there should be transparency. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

will give it a try @c.pfaffenbichler , thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines