Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting Faint Grid Lines Using Photoshop to Create Digital Paintings

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having a new problem when creating digital paintings in Phtoshop. I'm getting these faint grid lines in my work (see photo). They are more prominent in the redish area in the image. I get them when using brushes. If I apply a color area with the paint bucket I do not get them. I've tried a few things to get rid of them but nothing is working. Please help. Thanks in advance. Bryan.

Faint Grid Problem.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Photoshop forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the brush preset that you used?  If the preset had Texture checked, then that might be where the pattern is coming from.  

How many layers does the project have? Can you turn off thee layers one at a time to see if the grid pattern is on a different layer.

If you can't find the issue, show us the brush preset you are using, and screen shot of your entire workspace including the layers panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know the trick of right clicking on the image with the Move Tool selected?  It shows all the layers that have content at the cursor location.  It only shows layers that are turned on.  If your project is complex with lots of layers, it's a useful tool for tracking down a problem.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a higher resolution image of the tiling problem.

Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what is the size of the image, and the size you've set the brush tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting the brush tool? right-click on the brush tool icon in the option bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "resetting", do you mean create a new preset? I don't see anything for tool reset when I right click on the tool icon in the option bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions but the problem still persists. I am using CC and Photoshop 2022. The problem occurs when using textured brushes. I would call it a "Tiling" of the color. Please see the attached image. I wonder if it is a bug with the brushes? The brush shown is a Photoshop "Kyle" brush. It happens with others as well.

Any help would be appreciated, this is maddening. 

Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this is a big file, zoomed way out, so there's a lot of screen downsampling here. Do you still see it at 100%? Can you show a screenshot at 100%? That will display the actual pixel structure of the file.

If you don't see it at 100%, I suspect a GPU bug. Then it's not in the data, just display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a big file. I set it at 11000 px. x 8500 px. for an approx. 35" x 28" final print. I have enclosed an actual size screenshot at full size. The tiling is still there. 

Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's not 100%, that's 66.7%. 100% means one image pixel is represented by exactly one physical screen pixel. It's the only way to see the actual pixel structure in the file.

But yes, it seems likely it's the brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Here is an image at 100%. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thanks. Actually, I can't see any "fault lines" here - but I don't know the file and what should or should not be there.

Can you stay at 100% and see if you can relocate those tile edges? Zoom out to locate them, then zoom in to 100% at that exact spot and see if they're still there. If you have the preference setting to "zoom clicked point to center", that should be straightforward. But make sure you really go to 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a problem that shows up on the Kyle Brushes. Other brushes do not "tile". I think I read yesterday that tiling was a problem with the older Kyle Megapack of brushes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines