• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gif exports different than file- plz help!!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have an issue with my gif exports. I have been creating them for a long time- always fine. Now since a month or so the exported/saved as gif version do not look like the original file.

I have tried all the settings (or i think i have;)

It's when the background is transparent- the lines of the gif come out very thick and also with grainy edges. I used to either use 'save for web' or just 'save a copy' and choose the gif extansion- but both now give me the issue.

attached are two screenshots of the difference in look, the first one the original file in ps the second the saved gif.  I would so appreciate any help!!! have tried all i know and searched far and wide. thank you

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, Timeline, …) and the Save for Web dialog visible? 

Why gif? Is this an animation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it's animation

first screenshot is the way it looks in ps (the way i want it)

second shot is my save for web screenshot - i should say i pretty much tried every different setting on it and it keeps coming out the same. 

like in 3rd and 4th screenshots- very thick lines that have gaps in them sporadically. (last screenshot is overlayed on background in ae where i use them)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why gif with its limited transparency capabilities? 

If the lines are only black on white multiplying them in After Effects should provide the same result as transparency anyway. 

Alternatively Quicktime can include »Alpha Channel« when using Render Video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use all kinds of color- i just created this quick example to illustrate the issue.

The strange thing is for me, i've been working like this for a year- totally fine!- and this issue just started happening. I did update photoshop to newest version around the same time.... so i am wondering what in the settings has changed?

I like creating the gifs in ps - is your suggestion that i create the movements in ae with different layers? Sorry - i am self- taught in all these programs and a beginner so i have limited understanding of the technicalities. Appreciate your help!!

My main question is why does the saved gif have a different look than the ps file ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

gif is useful for purely web purposes, but as for image quality? 

It uses inexed colors and its transparency is limited (to 1bit, basically), so it should pretty much be a non-starter if one is doing video-work. 

One can export video-files with transparency from Photoshop. 

Edit: Screenshot 2022-04-08 at 08.08.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines