• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitch where I rename a layer and it turns off a layer style

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm using the latest photoshop on an old Mac running Catalina (recently updated) and I have come across an interesting glitch where I am scrapbooking with a template loaded full of pics and digital papers in PSB format and I go to rename a clipped layer and for some reason it is turning off a layer style (a stroke style) on another layer (not the one that it is clipped to though) when I click "return" in renaming that layer. I would like to know what is going wrong so it can... not do that. I don't want to keep on turning that layer style stroke back on for every time I rename a layer.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to duplicate this error apparently:

1. Go to renaming a clipped layer (the glitter paper on the tab)

2. rename clipped layer

3. oh no! There goes the stroke around the adjacent photo to the left of the tab.

4. For whatever reason the layers palate shows the style as being turned on but it isn't visible. 

5. but if you flick off visibility on the affected photo slot that the affected pic is clipped to and turn visibility back on it, the stroke comes back. 

6. but only momentarily until you do this again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

64CBD3FA-9830-4B0A-85A2-A3290D96BDA0.png

 

F9806CE6-55ED-4794-8A48-19AA76408C08.png

 

3D129A68-15F4-446C-99C8-39284D4D0CAA.png

 

6B1BB795-B35E-4A45-B6B3-5D222A562288.png

 

E7552863-6DE5-48F8-9B67-97DC6D1FB9C8.png

 

1F8AAE04-B2F2-479F-837E-F0FAF3F176AD.png

 I meant to embed these as images not as file attachments, sorry! Still new at this forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce the issue. 

Does it also happen on other files? 

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not done much of any troubleshooting photoshop for this current issue, I may need to do some kind of troubleshooting my mac though because for whatever reason it's having to restart itself upon waking from sleep, which isn't ok. I don't know if that is influencing these shenanigans in any way but I figured it's a fair mention. So with that, I end up having to reset my photoshop preferences when my mac does that. 

I have done troubleshooting photoshop before in previous versions though becuase it wouldn't open due to things like corrupted permissions files and whatnot. So I am familiar with methods to troubleshoot it with and I'm not afraid to do some digging to find the source of the actual issue. 

The issue does not appear to be affecting other documents (other scrapbook layouts of similar origin, size, format), just that one. Why, I don't know. Like the other scrapbook layouts in PSB format, This is using a PSD template from many of the same designers whose templates I have used and trusted for years. This is using the same paper and element packs as the other layouts. This is using pictures from the same set of pictures. Everything from these layouts is saved on an external SSD that I have plugged into my old macbook pro (which tries its hardest with its outdated integrated intel graphics). I started these layouts from our 2019 trip in early mid 2020 in an older version of photoshop cc (2018? I know I waited a bit to update my ancient mac). I don't know if something with that particular document just got screwed up along the way if my mac glitched or something like that. Or if there is a setting that is incompatible with my mac that I need to turn off. I don't know. 

I'll see if I can upload the document and ya'll can poke at it and see if you can figure out what is going wrong with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, does the problem occur when you hit the backspace key? like in this discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/backspace-key-frustrations/td-p/12323360 it seems to be a known issue on windows only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue does not appear to be affiliated with the backspace key. Just renaming layers on this particular cursed document spawn the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to get a copy of the PSD that has this problem? (link to CC files or Dropbox)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you would like to mess with the cursed file, here you go. It looks different now (with different stroke color frames) because I have finished much of it while cursing at its stroke style zapping behavior (exception I haven't finished the flowers and greenery because I haven't replaced those template parts yet), but if you want to discover what is going wrong so I know what to do if I ever see this super frustrating glitch ever again, feel free. 

Have at it. 

cursed scrapbook layout-- mark twain cave parlor 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines