Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Going wrong with my Gaussian Blurring.

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am looking to apply a Gaussian blur to the inner radius of a circle using the blur/gaussian tool. I'd like the depth of the blur to be pretty thick, see arrows as a guide in the attached image. 

I've attached a short video of my attempt. Any ideas where I am going wrong here.  I'm sure this is simple and a gentle pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Rob  🙏🏼

Rob

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

The screen recoding does not show you applying Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency. 

Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 16.36.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

layerMaskFeatheringTest2Scr.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you selecting? 

Why do you switch to Quick Mask Mode? 

To edit the Transparency indespendently from the pixels’ color values convert it to a Layer Mask (Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency) and edit the Mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying I did attach an image to show you the effect i was trying to achieve. I would like to apply a deep faded edge to the inner circle on the coloured layer.  Hope you follow what I am trying to ask for help with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a plain Feather (see Properties Panel) on a Layer Mask doesn’t suffice, maybe you should focus on non-destructive techniques like a knock out Smart Object, that maintains editability. 

Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 16.47.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I posted a reply to quickly below.. Let me look through what you have so kindly shared above and see how I get on. Brb soon..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 16.22.24.png

 I followed exactly what you said above yet still i cannot see the faded knock out feather effect..  I must be missing something you are saying here Ive followed what you said word for word...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the content of Layer 1? 

Edit: My screenshot should show that the knock-out Layer has a circular shape and Smart Filters applied to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the new layer mask option as you mention but I don't seem to have a layer mask as a menu item?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen recoding does not show you applying Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency. 

Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 16.36.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 16.08.50.png

Thanks for the screenshot CP.

Now at least I have the correct layer masked transparency.  I tried the same technique as in my first post and still the edge of the rainbow coloured circle has a sharp edge and no gaussian blur transistion.. Photoshop can be so frustrating to use sometimes 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Layer Mask needs to be selected to be edited/filtered. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess my advice so far may be too complicated here. 

So a different approach: 

No Quick Mask. 

Just load the transparency as a Selection. 

Apply it as a Layer Mask to the Layer. 

Apply Feather in the Properties Panel. 

Apply Filter > Other > Minimum if the sharp edge of the original transparency is noticable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think perhaps whene you give advice you may be thinking everyone is on your level.. Your screenshots definitley help and I am grateful for you trying to help. 

So for the sake of clarity. Just load the selection as transparency. Are you referring to my Rainbow png file ?

The option to apply a layer mask from the menu bar is no longer there.

Where would I find the properties panel. I looked this up on youtube but its really misleading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

layerMaskFeatheringTest2Scr.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I am very grateful for you trying to help me still and also your video. As you can see, I put my Photoshop screen alongside your video and you can see your mask has a black hole in the middle of it. When I add a mask layer as you did it has no black hole in it. From that point I was unable to follow what you have shown in the video.

Any ideas why my layer mask might be different to yours ?

Thanks again

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 18.49.57.png

OMG....   champagne moment 😮  Not sure how this happened but.. Im sure its down to you !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so Ive tried my best now to follow the above instructions. Again it didnt work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines