• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to run on a Google Chromebook - Chrome OS

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love using Chrome OS also Like to edit my photos. Do not know what product I can use. Please help.

Idea No status
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Hi, you might be interested in Photoshop on the web beta: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/photoshop-web-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
34 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Status No status

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2014 Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Google Chromebook currently and quite enjoy it. I was wondering if there is currently or any future plans for photoshop to be available for a Chromebook OS?

Any luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google says its operating system is Chrome OS, which I have not heard of.  I expected to find it used Android, and would have said, "no, you are out of luck."  but with Chrome OS the answer is more like "hell no.  You are definitely out of luck!".  

We have a regular poster here called Curt, who knows weird stuff about weirder operating systems, so he might come along and say that you can run Windows XP in a virtual machine with Chrome OS, and run CS6 on it if you like reading, (about one good book per image to be processed ought to do it.

)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers, I know I've seen a few hacks on the Chrome OS - they seemed pretty intensive. I really just want to run a few choice programs that I can't find in the Google Store without bending over backwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point.  Heck we are talking Google here.  It would be rediculous to write off Chrome OS as ineffective.  A quick look round found there are definitely choices

http://blogs.computerworld.com/cloud-computing/21822/google-chrome-os-misconceptions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux users have been asking for a version of Photoshop for years.  While Laptop these days can be very powerful there are also cheap netbooks with less power still quite useful for they can run standard text applications like office do e-mail and browse the web and have real keyboards and they are cheaper then tablets..

Chrome OS machines where do they fit in. Being it Google I'm sure the web and Google cloud will play a big part in their OS.  Hardware wise what is a Chrome  machine? Photoshop is a resource hungry application. Powerful Windows and MAC laptops can run Photoshop well for the have the needed resources.  Will a Chrome OS machine?

Devices like Phone and Tablets should be inexpensive  and not be a repository for things of great value.  They are easy to drop and brake. So they should be replaceable devices. You get a new one and you back in business for all your assets are in your cloud and synced to your new replacement device.  I'm retired now and don't need all the new mobile devices. I will admit I have a iPod for my music.

I just took quick look at chromebook pixel sepcs it has a intel i-5 processor 4GB ram and a 32GB SSD.  Its not something I would want to run Photoshop on. The display looks good but with only 32GB of local SSD for OS apps Photoshop would have to use cloud scratch space,

Message was edited by: JJMack

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, There would need to be enough Chromebooks sold before Adobe would envision creating a compatible version. Also, the price of applications would need to be high enough for a return on investment.

I'd rather expect a version of Photoshop Express rather than a version of Photoshop, or even Elements made for Google OS (it is different from Android). http://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshopexpress

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome OS is bascially Chrome browser on steroids. Nearly EVERYTHING about a ChromeBook is designed around web browsing. Yes there are some Google Apps to handle content offline, but it's made for web work.

PECourtejoie is right. There would need to be millions more Chromebooks sold before Adobe would consider making software specifically for them. Example: There are loads of Linux users out there, but not enough to warrant continued development of Flash Player for Linux. And that's freeware. To support paid software, not only would the Chromebook numbers have to be really high... but so would the interest in Photoshop for Chrome OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshoptouch would be nice, they could make it an chrome extension!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a trial run of a streaming service, Photoshop is not running locally on the chrome book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, but it's still something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, i think we have an answer now. PS for chromebooks...Google Chrome Blog: Adobe joins the Chromebook party, starting with Photoshop 

it's streaming and only available to education customers at the moment but it's only a matter of time before it's fully released. If they did PS this quickly, it's also a matter of time before Illustrator and ID join too. And since it's streaming I imagine they should be able to get the full CC up there but there might be some more hiccups with some of the more intense stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing runs locally on chromebooks, really. it's all through the web/wifi. chromebooks don't have the guts to run things locally, but that's not the point. you don't need to run it locally. with a usb drive and the cloud, you're good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not entirely true. They can run lots of things locally including extensions, apps and now some android apps. Evernote for Android now installs and runs on Chromebooks. 

But as for Photoshop on a Chromebook, Many times it is the simple things that you need to do. Obviously we are not going to do huge projects any time soon. But for most people a Chromebook is not their primary computer, so this is a great step forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was not done "quickly". We've been working for quite some time to get the streaming solution to work with a complex application like Photoshop.

And not all features can work when streaming - like the GPU features, or documents with a very high memory requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you also working to provide Adobe Creative Cloud Lightroom for the Chromebook OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhhh, this is so disappointing.   Why do I have to buy a different OS for Photoshop only?  I can't edit all my photos at work.  I can't edit edit them all on my Android phone.  I don't have money to buy another tablet/netbook/computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a chromebook. I thought PScc was all online? Do have to download it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also refer below link :

https://edex.adobe.com/projectphotoshopstreaming

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from the link that has been provided, the Cloud is a distribution process... you must install on your Mac or Windows computer to run

The Chrome operating system is not supported for Cloud programs that need to be downloaded and installed

Minimum System requirements for Cloud Programs... scroll down and check each program

-http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to run Photoshop it needs not just a computer but a powerful one. A $1000 video card is a good start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, Google OS is web based, which means that it can ONLY access web applications. There is no way Adobe would be able to create Photoshop for web (that would be amazing, but still, no way). If Google were to eventually convert Chrome OS into a desktop-based OS, the Chromebook price would SKYROCKET up in price. Your better getting a PC, or even maybe a new Windows S, which has Photoshop Elements on the Windows Store (similar to Photoshop, but cheaper, and one flat fee).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While, I'm not getting hopes up about Adobe releasing for Chrome OS, just need to correct zacd, who said almost everything incorrect. Chrome OS is not a web based OS. It has a local file system and can run native chrome apps, as well as Android apps, which are looking to Target meatier creative usage. Secondly Adobe ALREADY developed Photoshop streaming version for web, and was testing it with chrome education users. Not 100% feature paired but close. But there is nothing technically at all that would stop them from creating Photoshop/Creative cloud Android full desktop apps that are specifically geared towards the new crop of powerful Chromebooks and hopefully vulkan. Right now you can buy a Chromebook with a 7th Gen i7 with capable graphics, 512GB SSD storage, 16GB ram.  I have a Chromebook from 2015 with an i7 and 16gb ram (only 64gb storage though). Basically right now you can run all of the Android adobe apps on modern Chromebooks and they work well. They also could cash in a lot from school licenses in the future. Me personally, I think it's smarter to target GNU/Linux since many studios use Linux for everything but adobe. Also it's definitely possible chrome is could run Linux apps natively using the new Linux sandboxed applications like snapd or flatpak technologies.  Not trying to trash on you, but your completely incorrect on almost everything you said, and I don't want people thinking it is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom line, Photoshop won't run on a chomebook.  You need a Windows or Mac desktop operating system + ample hard disk and RAM memory.  If unsure, look at the system requirements keeping in mind that these are a baseline recommendation.  For a better user experience, you'll need a good deal more resources to support your OS + Creative Cloud + all other apps and utilities.

Photoshop system requirements

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate