• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient map incompatibility with older versions and screen freezing while tracing paths

New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have a problem with my PS files with a gradient map (adjustment layer): in older versions installed of my teammates PCs, this gradient map is ignored and replaced by a blank layer.

Also, when i'm tracing a path with pen tool, very often the screen freezes (only the tab i'm working on). The zoom on the bottom left indicates that the file is not freezed bc i can do zoom-in or out but the screen remains freezed.
I have to save, close y reopen everytime this happens.

Any ideas if there is a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

Photoshop 23.3.1
macOS 12.3.1
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
Processor 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create Gradient Maps using "Classic" method for them to be backwards compatible. See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-gradient-map-adjustment-layer-ps-23-is-not...

For the screen freezing issue, if you go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" and "Animated Zoom". Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding Gradient Maps (not Gradient Fills, which the link you provided does suggest has been fixed) I've just tested this out and it is unfortunately incorrect that the bug has been addressed, as it is still not backwards compatible as of today, 5/18/22.  I specifically changed the Gradient Maps properties to "Classic" and tried to open in PS2021, and the "unknown data..." prompt still does appear.  FYI, I'm running 23.3.2 which is the latest update as of today 5/18/22.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DemonMry,

I suspect your 2021 is not up to date or you're using something older that is not supported.

Gradient Maps created with "Classic" method in Photoshop 23.3.2 are backwards compatible one version back and won't give an unknown data error. Make sure your version of Photoshop 2021 is up to date to 22.5.7.

Gradient Maps that use anything other than "Classic" will never be backwards compatible in versions 2020 (v20.x) or earlier - and are no longer supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey.  You are correct - originally to test our the issues, I had to use the CC option to "install other versions" and I could only see 2021 although I was hoping for earlier to match what our clients sometimes use, but I installed 2021.  I tested this and the data-loss error in the 2022 file reproduced itself immediately, even with Classic GM's.  However, a little later, I noticed that an Adobe update was prompting me to update my recently backwards-installed 2021, which I then did.  After patching, I was able to open the 22 file with the Gradient Map (set to 'Classic') without a problem.  The issue for some of my company's clients though (who are spread out over the globe), is that they're not all up to 2021 for their own various reasons.  This is probably more their own software policy or governance issue I would imagine, than specifically Adobe's problem however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far the Gradient Map Adjustment Layer in photoshop 2022, you can instead convert your layer to a Smart Object, then apply Image>Adjustments>Gradient Map as a Smart Filter using the Classic setting and users with photoshop versions as far back a cc 2015 should be able to modify the Gradient Map. Earlier photoshop versions will open the Gradient Map layer as a  separate flattened layer with the Gradient Map Adjust intact or as a non editable smart filter layer.

Screenshot-(934).png

same psd opened in photoshop 3.0.5 creates a flattened layer with the adjustment intact

Screenshot-(932).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem!!!!!!!!

And nobody in adobe matters, it is really frustrating because break totally the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same for me. I work in a studio and this means I can't open files from some of my colleagues lmfao.

Like DemonMry said, always using the latest version of software is not actually possible for many different reasons.

This is mind boggling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines