• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradients lost when merging layers or clipping to the layer below.

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am working in Photoshop veriosn 23.3.2 on an iMac running Big Surr version 11.6.4.

I've been working with grandient maps on text and revealing parts of the gradient using tilt-shift blur.

I would like to create mutliple layers for different letters to have greater control over the end results.

However, I am running into some issues using the gradient maps. 

For example, if I try cliping the gradient map to the text layer, I can't see the effects and nothing really happens. Similarly, if I try and merge the gradient layer and the text layer the gradient disappears. I would like to merge the layers but keep the transparent background so I can layer different versions.

Is this possible? I have seen YouTube clips of users clipping the gradient to the layer below or else merging the layers and it seems to work fine. Would it be something in my settings?

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible of before and after merging? 

To reiterate: View > 100%. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely! 

The first is the type of effect I am playing around with, and the second and third image is what happens when I merge layers or clip the gradient map to the layer below.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 7.58.58 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 7.59.17 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 7.59.06 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Layer »BLUR« appears to be black, so that is as expected. 

Do you understand what a Gradient Map Layer does? 

If it is applied to a Layer that only has one color then the result would also be one color. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't understand why it's not possible to merge those two layers and retain the coloured blur effect? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What effect has a Gradient Map on ONE COLOR? 

It changes the color to another color (or depending on the Gradient in question not even that). 

The Layer »BLUR« appears to be black. 

So obviously the Gradient Map changes all that black to one other color (white, it seems). 

The effect in the unflattened state results from the »mixed colors« due to the black pixels’ transparency and the color of the background. 

So to maintain the effect you can merge the three Layers together, can’t you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Consider this simple example with two pixel Layers (in each of which which all pixels have the same color): 

• The effect of the Adjustment Layer is determined by the underlying pixels (in this case a combination of 2 layers). 

• If the lowermost layer has another color the result is different. 

This should illustrate that the effect is not determined by the top layer and its transparency but by the top layer and its transparency and the lower layer together. (If more Layers are involved the cumulated result.) 

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 15.58.35.pngScreenshot 2022-07-04 at 16.05.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines