• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphics Processor Enabled is being disabled and Photoshop Freezes

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 that has worked great for over a year. Recently, Photoshop started freezing regularly. I can usually process a few images and it will freeze. I need to use the task manager to close the program at that point. After restarting photoshop, a message will pop up telling me my driver is not compatible.

I updated my drivers twice before realizing my NVIDIA GeoForce GTX 1050 GPU driver was being disabled. Currently, prior to using Photoshop, I am opening photoshop and checking Edit/Preferences/Performance to make sure 'Use Graphics Processor' is checked. It will work for awhile before disabling the driver, I hope this gets resolved.

//------System Details Begin------------------------------------------------

Operating System:   Windows 10 Home, 64 bit OS.

Processor:                 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz

Ram:                        16.0 GB 

Internal Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630, Driver Date 6/1/2021, Version 27.20.100.9664 (most current)
GPU:    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, Driver Date 7/21/2022, Version 31.0.15.1693 (most current)

The version selected (2 options), the non-game version for better photo/video processing

//------System Details End------------------------------------------------

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Follow up after reporting the issue improvement.

About a week or so after my last post, I was getting blue screens to the point where I couldn't use the PC.  I sent the computer to Dell for repair.  They replaced the battery and a mother board logic board (no specific details).  The result is my PC is working like new with default settings.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @deanv38403405 sorry to hear this.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually  

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products. Meaning that a newer update may be an issue when an older version wasn't.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

You may just need to disable GPU or update that GPU or roll back a version until the GPU software is updated.

To go back (revert) to previous versions, use the Adobe Creative Cloud application, next to the product you want to revert, click on... (three little dots) and pick "other versions."

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cory,

Thanks for the quick response.  Removing the Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings folder didn't help. 

I have two System Info files, one after the driver quits and the other when it is installed and working.  Each file is 11 pages in a Word document; I didn't see a way to attach a document.  I can paste the data here.  Which file do you want (working/non-working) or do you want both pasted in a response?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DigitalDog,

If I can't resolve this with updated drivers, I will certainly roll back until I get this working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8/11/2022: This issue may be solved

My PC also just started shutting down for no reason with a blue screen.  Is my hardware dying?  I did more google searching and found a conversation about PCs having similar problems (not only with photoshop).  The article mentioned disabling the power options default mode, balanced.

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

Disabled: balanced (recommended), automatically changes performance

Enabled: Custom (accepted the defaults), does not adjust performance

Result: 

The PC no longer ‘races’.  The processor frequency would normally be around 130% without doing anything.  It now gets to a maximum of ~100%.  Using Photoshop, Denoise and Sequator, is noticeably slower.  However, it works reliably at least so far.  I can live without the PC being snappy, like it was with the balanced power mode.  If the blue screens stay gone, I’m happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow up after reporting the issue improvement.

About a week or so after my last post, I was getting blue screens to the point where I couldn't use the PC.  I sent the computer to Dell for repair.  They replaced the battery and a mother board logic board (no specific details).  The result is my PC is working like new with default settings.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines