• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Guaranteed Crash and issues with multiple monitors.

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every new update to Photoshop seems to be bring new issues and bugs, rather than fixing old ones. Since updating to the latest version of Photoshop I will be guaranteed a crash when performing a saved action I have and use on some of the photos I process (high pass sharpen). This only happens on the first time of starting photoshop and using the action, first Photoshop freezes, and then it crashes. If I then start Photoshop for a second time and use the action again, no crash and the action works as normal. This crash happens 100% of the time when starting photoshop for the first time. Opening Photoshop and forcing a crash before I actually do any work is now a part of my daily process so I don't lose any work.

The second issue I'm having was one I thought I had got rid of previously, which is having multiple monitors connected to my PC. I have three monitors connected. Two main monitors, and a third located elsewhere which I use when shooting. The monitor I use to shoot on is disconnected through Windows when it's not in use. When 'saving to web', the window to select the save location opens up on the monitor that is disconnected and located elsewhere. There is no way to move the window to the active monitors (Windows + Shift does not work). The only way to fix this is to physcially disconnect the monitor from my PC, restart Photoshop and start again. I cannot understand why the window opens up on a monitor different to the one that Photoshop is currently operating in, never mind a monitor that is disconnected through windows. This is not an issue I have ever experienced with any other application, it only seems to happen with Photoshop.

The issue with monitors I have had before when I had a VR headset plugged in as well as the three monitors, and this affected other applications as well as Photoshop. Unplugging the headset fixed the issue until the most recent Photoshop update where it's now returned, but only with Photoshop. And now the most recent update seems to have added the guaranteed crash bug, and it's starting to make me question whether it's worth continuing to subscribe to a subscription service model for Photoshop.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Concerning 1) What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

2) Does quitting Photoshop, hiding the file »Save for Web Prefs.psp« and starting it again make a difference? 

Are you using more than one GPU? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When Photoshop crashes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

If that doesn't fix the issue:
Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop. 
Still crashing? â€¨Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines