Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand tool (spacebar) isn't working [2016]

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I got creative cloud with Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign etc.

But my hand tool shortcut with the spacebar isn't working

the hand does appear but when I try to move it gives no reaction

With the shortcut H it works.

I have already reinstalled everything, reset all my tools and reset my warning dialogs.

With my drawing tablet the shortcut also did work, until this morning. It stopped working.

Hope that someone got the answer for me this is pretty annoying I use the hand tool a lot.

Kind regards

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Are you saying that the hand tool space bar shortcut has stopped working for all the Adobe apps you mentioned, or just Photoshop?  If you are using a Mac, and have a Wacom tablet, then you should probably rule out the White Window fix.  We have certainly had posts where systems only had one or two of the symptoms associated with the issue, and the White Window plug-in fixed it.

Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS

My gut feeling is that it is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 155 Replies 155
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did but didn't work..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for which problem did you reset pref and were you successful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted it for photoshop but didn't work..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this, nothing. I can click and choose the hand tool and it works. but using the space bar, no go.
it shows the hand tool so is obviously active but the space bar short cut does nothing. I can only get it working by manually clicking and switching to the hand tool then back to whichever I was using. Only way to use it would be switching the tool to it by click it or using it's shortcut key, H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this too and it didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using 1Password and/or the 1Password browser extension? There are other threads where 1Password was found to be the culprit. Others say it is Chrome/Firefox/Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also already tried but didn't work..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated my 1Password and then I got all the funny CS anomalies, like the hand/zoom problems. Removed the extension from Safari and everything is kosher again. Thanks a lot BarbBinder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that this is almost 2 years since you made this post and it still holds true. I was going nuts till I found this thread and indeed I had my 1 password app open. Closing it resolved the issue. Thanks, you saved my day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It WAS the 1Password app for me. Quit the app, Photoshop hand tool spacebar activation returned. WTH?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After seeing this I tried quitting bitwarden. Success! Now when I hold the spacebar I can move the image around. What kind of weird voodoo is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have the 1Password app instaled but no browser extensions. I closed 1Password app and spacebar hand tool works again! At least I know how to sort it now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  I quit completely the 1Password app in the tray and the hand tool short cut worked again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps, I just had same problem but found that it was when the Adobe Flash uninstall prompt window had opened on my mac. I uninstalled but presume you can just accept or decline that window (either way, make it go away!) and make sure 1password app is closed, and the problem sorts itself out. Spacebar hand tool functionality restored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was 1Password for me. Wouldn't have expected that. Thank-you for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking in to add my own data point: 1Password7 on Mac 🙃.

Qutting it completely fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That used to work for me. No longer does.

Thomas Romer

[personal information removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting enough I just have the same problem with PS 23.1 - and have no add ons like that installed and browsers were closed.

I was THAT close to reset the presets until I realised... I now can move the picture around with 2 fingers on my touchpad instead of holding down the space bar and use one finger on the touchpad. 

Maybe this is in PS 2022 actually a feature (not a bug), but nobody noticed that change yet? I can live with this change although it will take a minute to reprogram my autopilot using the spacebar. And maybe it works for some of you too 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah. Yes SensationElle. Same for me. I can't use my spacebar, but two fingers on the touchpad works. I miss my spacebar though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Confirmed this was the problem for me.

Mac OS 12.3.1 Removing the 1Password extension from the User folder > Library > Safari > Extensions and quiting and restarting Safari brought the hold spacebar hand tool functionality back in both Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dashlane password app was the culprit in my case. As soon as I quit it I got the spacebar/pant tool  back again. And btw I've removed the spacebar as part of the shorcut for the Mac Os spotlight . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that the hand tool space bar shortcut has stopped working for all the Adobe apps you mentioned, or just Photoshop?  If you are using a Mac, and have a Wacom tablet, then you should probably rule out the White Window fix.  We have certainly had posts where systems only had one or two of the symptoms associated with the issue, and the White Window plug-in fixed it.

Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS

My gut feeling is that it is not your issue, but it doesn't hurt to cross it off the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines