Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand tool (spacebar) isn't working [2016]

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I got creative cloud with Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign etc.

But my hand tool shortcut with the spacebar isn't working

the hand does appear but when I try to move it gives no reaction

With the shortcut H it works.

I have already reinstalled everything, reset all my tools and reset my warning dialogs.

With my drawing tablet the shortcut also did work, until this morning. It stopped working.

Hope that someone got the answer for me this is pretty annoying I use the hand tool a lot.

Kind regards

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Are you saying that the hand tool space bar shortcut has stopped working for all the Adobe apps you mentioned, or just Photoshop?  If you are using a Mac, and have a Wacom tablet, then you should probably rule out the White Window fix.  We have certainly had posts where systems only had one or two of the symptoms associated with the issue, and the White Window plug-in fixed it.

Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS

My gut feeling is that it is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 155 Replies 155
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to page 2 of this thread and look for the solution involving Web Root antivirus software...it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, reading this… I thought I had written. Same exact feeling. Adobe, please stop making new things without fixing things we depend on for daily speed of workflow! While you are off busy having fun with creative new ideas, that I'm paying for, you are killing productivity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should quit all Microsoft office programs,

and then spacebar handtool magicali apper and work again.

just discowered this.

it works for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same probelm - quitting Safari didn't help, but I had Bitwarden runniing, and stopped then that and restarted Photoshop - now working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a problem with Microsoft programs. When I quited them, adobe started
work normaly, handtool space bar worked again.--

[email removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So weird. You have to hold spacebar, and toggle click from either V or A and it starts working, but clicking H also works efficiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Removed] I am so sick of this problem. No idea why it hapens. Just suddenly the spacebar is useless on all Adobe apps. No hand quick tool, no zoom, etc. It sucks and often restarting the machne which these days takes 20 minutes to do — often that doesn’t help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came with one solution that works for me on iMac.

Apple Logo > System Preferences > Siri > Keyboard Shortcut > Off

If Siri is not enabled, enable it first. You can disable it afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i just came with working sollution. I got laptop with touchpad. Touchpad have gestrues. I disable two finger scrolling and other gestures. Im using mouse so i do not need touchpad at all. It works for me. Can use spacebar as shortcut for hand tool now. Hope i help some of you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had that problem a couple times, including this morning. 

I shut down my iMac, OS 13.6, and rebooted in safe mode. Ran Disk Utility, which found no problems, and restarted, and the spacebar functionality was restored. Who know what that did but it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This HAS to be my most hated issue with AI. It happens inexplicably and goes away the same. Sometimes I have to restart to fix it. Which these days ia a big ask and it can sometimes take 20 minutes to figure out what files have to be saved or not and many are big. I leave files open and if it crashes it opens them ALL back up again as backups. Usually there is nothing worth saving but I have to evaluate every file before closing without saving. 

Can we figure this very annoying bug out? I know I can pinch the screen too — but I really work with the spacebar and it is not at all intuitive or efficient. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is ALSO the most frustrating issue with me....heads up everyone, it is NOT app specific... I lose the spacebar shortcut in Photoshop, Illlustrator AND InDesign... and when ONE goes out... ALL don't work... Sometimes I think Acrobat Professional is the culprit...sometimes I quit it and spacebar starts working... after I quit all apps and restart...

but it does seem random... stops working...then suddenly starts working again.

I have been trying to isolate what causes it to break and what causes it to come back...but haven't figured it out yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking in to add my own data point: 1Password7 on Mac 🙃.

Qutting it completely fixed the issue.

This is a frustrating (and frustratingly frequent) issue for sure, but in the case of another app hijacking the input, it may well be out of Adobe's hands (no pun intended).

My recommendation would be to catalog the apps you find as culprits and, whenever the spacebar stops activating the Hand Tool in Illustrator, try quitting those apps first before doing anything more drastic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your 1password updated to the latest version? It was documented here that it had problems in the past, but we working with them to fix that issue in one of their updates: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/keyboard-shortcuts-stop-photoshop-mac.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep... this was the latest version of 1Password 7 -- and latest version of Illustrator CC -- on macOS 11.5.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same issue here - spacebar for handtool doesn't work in Adobe Photoshop 2022. In Earlier version it does fine, pressing spacebar immediately switching to spacebar when holding the key. Shortcut "H" for hand tool is realy bad solution. Dear @Adobe please restore for hand tool shortcut when holding spacebar ... even in settings as "Spacebar hand legacy tool " 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is AGAIN an example of Adobe screwing with our workflows. Why the hell do you modify shortcuts that have worked for the last 30 years??? Are you really trying to make us switch to alternative applications? BRING BACK THE SPACE BAR SHORTCUT FOR THE MOVE TOOL --- THIS IS RIDICULOUS! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe aslo broke the zoom tool shortcut (Command+spacebar)... WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? We are professionals and you are messing with our tools. BRING BACK THE SHORTCUTS, STOP MESSING WITH OUR WORKFLOWS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I got a little ahead of myself. Adobe didn't change the shortcuts (sorry Adobe), it's a system glitch or app conflict. After restarting my computer, the shortcuts work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I've had this issue for a long time too. 

I've tried removing extensions, changing shortcuts, closing apps, the works all to no avail. The only workaround that reliably and quickly fixes this bug for me is to lock the Mac, then unlock it. 

Quick and dirty but it's worked 100% of the time for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too! Quick and dirty, but I'll take it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Formation Creative...what do you mean "Lock the Mac, then unlock it"....?

Lock the Screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that might be a laptop specific solution now I think about it. But
for a desktop, try ‘sleep’ either via the apple menu or
windows/power/sleep.--

(PII removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NICE TIP!! This worked for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines