• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hardware performance for Photoshop (A large project)

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm totally thrilled with a new 14/16 inch MBP and the performance blew my mind. I'm already happy with M1 without any issues in terms of performance which makes me feel not to buy M1 Pro/Max. But I really need to buy a higher end Mac because of Photoshop project. I know that M1 is totally enough or more than enough for Photoshop cause it works great and it really does. But the only concern is about a large project. This is why I waited for a higher end MBP or iMac.

Each project file size is between 10~30GB. Yes, it is huge. I tried it with Mac Pro 2013 and iMac Pro with 64GB of RAM but they were extremly slow to handle a such file. The memory was maxed out. Apple Silicon Mac with unified memory should be much faster but I'm still worrying about the RAM usage. Someone suggested to reduce the amount of RAM that Photshop can use but I dont think it will increase the performance. M1 with 16GB struggles so much with a huge file. The canvas size is 66X44 at 300 PPI. Zoom in and out is totally laggy and even iMac Pro suffered that. 

I'm waiting for Apple Silicon desktop with 64GB of RAM but do you think the struggle is more about the RAM size, CPU performance, or GPU performance? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hard to understand what? You haven't actually explained what is slow yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally everyhing is slow. Zooming in and out is a great example. The overall performance is extremly slow which I dont have problems with normal files less than 10GB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines