Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Have to press key twice for shortcut to stick

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

A few days ago Photoshop started acting weird. For example, let's say the move tool is selected (V). I then press the C for the crop tool, but it won't stay as the crop tool unless I hold the key down or rapidly press C twice. To go back to the move tool, I either have to hold the V key down, or press it rapidly twice. And this is the case for all of the tools that I commonly use. I switched over to Illustrator and InDesign to see if the same behavior happened in those applications, and it did not. I only had to press the key once to get the corresponding tool.

I've reset the preferences, and restarted the computer a couple of times and the behavior stays the same. Any idea how to fix this?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

What is the Photoshop > Preferences > Tools > Spring-Loaded Tool Shortcuts setting? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Photoshop > Preferences > Tools > Spring-Loaded Tool Shortcuts setting? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, I turned it off. Now everything works fine with one touch. Sorry I never noticed that setting before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that Preferences setting is fairly new, I have only noticed it recently myself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sooo much, it was driving me mad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goodness, thank you so much, that's been driving me mad for ages! Why the hell would they add that?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, they added that setting at the request of digital painters that had problems with the spring-loaded shortcut feature activating the tools temporarily when they wanted a full tool change.

Now you can adjust the time during which you need to hold and release a tool to use it, and revert to the previous one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a digital painter I don't see why anyone would want that as we can already programme stylus/tablet shortcuts to have tool changes. What scenario with which tools applies specifically to painting on that one Joie?

Lawrence Mann
Digital Artist / YouTuber / Tech Consultant
www.LawrenceMann.co.uk
:pencil: Corel ‘Painter Master’ ELITE :pencil: Sketchable SketchARTISAN :pencil: Drobo Influencer :pencil: Lenovo INsider :pencil: XP-Pen Brand Friend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @LAWRENCEcanDRAW  au contraire, painters had often unwanted tool changes, or reverts, as the default setting for that old feature might have been too short. They were maybe switching tool, then started to paint while the shortcut was still held, then the tool reverted to the previous tool they had.

Most  painters lenghten the time, or simply disable them.

In fact, that feature makes all tools behave similarly to the spacebar, or CMD: it switches to another tool for as long as you hold the shortcut, then revert.

For instance, you are using the paint Brush, then want to select something quicky, you just hold M, draw the Marquee, then release, you are back to B with only one click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad I found this thread. I thought my keyboard was malfunctioning this entire time. What a silly default behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK YES, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

This was driving me crazy....  I can't understand why this is a feature and not a bug, but I am just very thankful for the question being answered!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I have to hit most hotkeys twice for them to "stick". Quite annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines