• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having mac users with issues working directly off of SMB and AFP share with photoshop.

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having mac users with issues working directly off of SMB and AFP share with photoshop. Using the latest photoshop 22.4.3 and mac os 11.4 with all m1 macbook pros with a supported Ethernet adapters or via wifi so the network is not really the issue. Also this error does not come up with windows 10 on the same nas and network. Getting a Could not complete request because of a disk error. So We have a Synology NAS with the latest firmware and SMB 3 /2 as well as AFP shares have been enabled. I have verified that the mac’s in question were all running on smb 2 / 3 or afp when the error occurred. It is also intermittent and does not seem to matter what protocol is running. The issue is the user will get a disk error trying to open some files sometimes off the nas directly. If the file is copied locally it works fine however. Verified it is not a permissions issue as the same files open sometimes. Are network share not supported to be used directly in photoshop ?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe STRONGLY recommends working with only local files, both on MacOS and Windows. I can't answer for why it does well on your Windows setup, but please refer to this article to learn more: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and I've tried everything... M1 + NAS is a no go with Photoshop... it's totally random, some files will open, then will give a disk error, one day will open, the next day doesn't... 

This "answer" is unacceptable, we don't care what Adobe recommends, I recommend they learn to code and fix their bugs instead of recommending workflows that may not work for certain pros. 

Some people NEED to work off their NAS, so please Adobe, fix this, and fix this NOW (I've already informed support back in March 2021 and they told me they were aware of the issue and a fix was coming... we're november and still this problem lingers).

If anyone has find a way to fix this, please let me know as I have lost all faith that Adobe cares about their paying customers, if this issue isn't affecting a large amount of users, they'll never EVER fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that this is affecting M1 macs only, so it IS a bug... no issues whatsoever on Intel Macs, and no issues whatsoever on Winblows machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect Adobe simply isn't using the right libraries for network on M1 macs... it's slow, it hangs, and when it finally refreshes files, it will randomly drop that couldn't open file because of a disk error. No other app on M1 makes these issues too, I should note. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they have Apple Silicon search no longer, M1 + Synology (or any other NAS I tested three! even built a couple of VMs with NAS distros to see if it was a Synology issue, it IS NOT, it's an Adobe issue with Apple Silicon). I've lost days trying to make this work, I've lost all faith in this company. They're lucky after 25 years of using toshop I can't afford the time and effort needed to use something else. Oh and let's not even bring the "we're striking 3D off" and if your file opens up as a black screen cause of that, tough luck... great job on backward compatibility guys. I gave the 3D options a tries for a couple of years, now if I want to open older files I need to have 2 versions of Photoshop running... thanks!

I apologize for my elevated temperament, but when you'll have lost weeks of your time literaly just trying to OPEN files, perhaps you'll have an inkling as to why I feel the way I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found ANY workaround for this? I just purchased a $3000 MacBook Pro M1 and I'm running into the exact same problems you are. It's beyond frustrating. I even had Adobe support takeover my screen for a 1.5 hour support session and they simply couldn't fix it and said to contact Synology and Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ryancmiles wrote:

Have you found ANY workaround for this?

Does Adobe's recommended workflow work for you?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

F3A63822-EDEA-4E3A-9E65-3F294F62759E.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't work for me. I have a 32TB NAS connected and sending files to my desktop in order to work on them is not a competent nor efficient way to operate day-to-day, especially considering my normal workflow worked prior to purchasing an M1 MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not beleive this is just releated to Apple M1. I think this is a Monteray issue, launch agent/daemon or mdworker. When I have console open and the logs running I see messages with these in it when I crash. I am on a 27in iMac and when working in InDesign or Acrobat my AFP connection to my Synology will just drop and crash my whole system. I have to use the power button to turn it off and restart. I have a ticket open with Synology and they told me some settings to try but it hasn't made a difference. They keep telling me not to use AFP but SMB is just really slow on my Synology. Just beach balls. But, this is also happening on 2 other Macs at my company that are running Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is. Our 5k iMac from 2019 can run everything fine with the latest updated from adobe/apple.

But with our new M1 iMacs, as soon I try to place objects like PDF or AI with several pages/art boards and try to import them, nearly every time the spinning wheel from apple appears and won't stop until I get disconnected from our server (nas/synology-afp).
Meanwhile, that loading-freeze while bring the iMac to a near complete standstill. You can interact with software like chrome, but everything that has a file open from the server won't open.

I'm not a lot to play around with different settings on our server to test different settings, but it appears that many people have this problem.

Deactivating the image preview and switching to the list view in the finder seems to help so far.
But when you're in any adobe software and want to import files through the software, you can't deactivate the preview from the Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @philippl49897675 agree with everything you've noted - it has gotten worse over the years with Apple mainly due to the Finder aggressive permissions when accessing remotely (server, etc). The only bulletproof solution is to either drag local, which is not an ideal workflow for most, or invest in a DAM system to allow users to check-in/out locally and preserve file integrity. There are a lot of solutions out there that integrate quite well with Creative Cloud and make life a whole lot easier. We switched 7 years ago and have never looked back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I've stumbled across this problem with one of the Mac's in our studio. It's the only one having the issue (out of ten M1's) and I've found some "band aid" fixes so far. We currently work off a server that has been set to smb. If the problem mac creates a photoshop file, saves it to the server, closes the file and then tries to re-open it then it shows the error message and cannot open. So what I have found so far is that photoshop won't open the file if Finder shows it with a "preview" (e.g gallery view in finder) BUT will open if I don't show a preview (e.g list view in finder). The problem M1 mac can open any file another computer creates and has no issues with other peoples files. 

We've also found that switching to afp protocols has fixed the issue, but we prefer not to work in that format as it creates other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, not just an M1 issue, as I'm pretty sure I had this issue many weeks ago when still on 2017 iMac core i7. But this issue may have only started with Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My office is running 5 Intel MacBook Pros that work fine.

It's the two new M1 MacBook Pros that are having this exact same issue. 

I have tested this exhaustively and can confirm the issue does not exist on *our* Intel Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is super annoying and we have this issue in our studio around 20 times a day. Everything was working smoothly (and still is on Intel Mac systems) until the day we switched to M1 Macbook Pro and Mac Studio. What always happens when the issue occurs ist that two MacOS services are crashing – com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavelPanel.Service and QuickLookUIservice. When manually closing these two services in the activity monitor the system freezes, the finder crashes and the networt connection resets after a few minutes. It looks like there is some kind of permission error between these processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here with Photoshop.

My only workaround I've found is if I open multiple files into Photoshop suddenly it'll open them vs give me one of two errors.

Would be nice if Adobe could make.an official response by now and sticky it as a known issue they're working on with workarounds? 🤔

Also the fact they're trying to say avoid using NAS is ridiculous. It worked flawlessly previously and I've never ran into any issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is it ONLY Photoshop?

It seems like this might be an issue best explored with Apple support,

it's very good, they call you back and can be super helpful

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here so I am obviously experiencing the same issue 😕

M1 connected to Synology NAS using SMB3. I can easily open a file from the NAS. When saving (save as) back over the same file all is well until trying to open the file again, with the 'you can't open... file locked.. blah blah' message.

I agree with JJung Photography that selecting the same file and another allows the file to open. Selecting the one offending file again returns the same error.

The only thing I have found that stops the issue is using SMB1. This is terrible as it is slow and image previews are non-existent, but it works.

I also noticed that when saving using SMB2/3 a temp file appears and disappears in the NAS folder. When using SMB1 it does not.

My thinking has been that the cache relating to SMB2/3 is holding onto the temp file and seeing the file as locked. This may be ignorant on my behalf, but a thought.

I'd be keen for anyone with a bit more knowledge on this to pitch in. Working locally is a ridiculous solution... we're not animals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems this is a problem with MacOS and file permissions. Whenever we create a new document with an Mac Arm machine on the NAS with any Software and then try to access it with the finder that finder and all related programs stop responding. One workaround that usually works is to disconnect and re-connect the network share after creating the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys... look what a bizzarre solution for this. I have been suffering with this issue in my office since I get a mac mini M1 in 2020.

If you change the icons visualization on macOS, the file will open without the error message. I mean, I always browsed in finder viewing my files as collums, but I noticed if I change to icons or list mode, the file will magically open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been an issue since Classic MacOS days. Working off a server works... until it doesn't. There are too many variables with network configuration, server software, client versions, etc for this to be bulletproof.

I get it- I have a Windows PC with Bridge and Photoshop open on my desk next to a MacBook Pro with a flyer I'm working on in Illustrator, with Windows servers. I know the rules for working cross-platform but I'm still careful to work locally most of the time, and to save often to avoid data loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BCampioni its not really a bizarre situation - The Mac OS has gotten more and more aggressive with hooks over the past few years. It started really getting worse with Big Sur. The Finder does not communicate fast enough with servers either SMB or AFP doesn't matter. Anything can cause this as you pointed out - quick view, column preview, moving a file in the server structure, renaming a parent folder, we've been through it all. The only sure fire solution was to not work off a server and drag local, edit then replace on the server.

Since then we've moved to an integrated DAM system that has plugins with Adobe Creative Cloud. The system allows users to check out the assets, edit locally and then check back into the system - preventing the issues we all see with working on a server. We're so better off since this realization and moving on from local to server complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer

Hello

I am trying to find a solution for our customer having the same issue when using mac M1 + indesign + fileserver.

Synology, windows fileserver, smb, afp, nothing works. That same company has Intel Mac and Windows computers, no problem at all on those computers.

I tried remediating the problem by proposing a local cloud storage solution (onedrive like). That makes people working locally with a copy of the files and synching to the server.

But that does not work as all the links to assets in indesign documents are then pointing to the local cloud folder of the initial creator. As a company, other people have to be able to open the projects and continue working on them.

It seems a DAM can do the job, but as I understand it is not its main purpose. Do you have any advice on what DAM we could try? And how it would solve the issue (is it creating a local copy, how does it manage the asset links in the file)?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on your size, I would look into MediaBank for small to medium solutions (under 300 users), or Acquia if you need something larger/enterprise and cloud based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines