Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Having mac users with issues working directly off of SMB and AFP share with photoshop.

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having mac users with issues working directly off of SMB and AFP share with photoshop. Using the latest photoshop 22.4.3 and mac os 11.4 with all m1 macbook pros with a supported Ethernet adapters or via wifi so the network is not really the issue. Also this error does not come up with windows 10 on the same nas and network. Getting a Could not complete request because of a disk error. So We have a Synology NAS with the latest firmware and SMB 3 /2 as well as AFP shares have been enabled. I have verified that the mac’s in question were all running on smb 2 / 3 or afp when the error occurred. It is also intermittent and does not seem to matter what protocol is running. The issue is the user will get a disk error trying to open some files sometimes off the nas directly. If the file is copied locally it works fine however. Verified it is not a permissions issue as the same files open sometimes. Are network share not supported to be used directly in photoshop ?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe STRONGLY recommends working with only local files, both on MacOS and Windows. I can't answer for why it does well on your Windows setup, but please refer to this article to learn more: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and I've tried everything... M1 + NAS is a no go with Photoshop... it's totally random, some files will open, then will give a disk error, one day will open, the next day doesn't... 

This "answer" is unacceptable, we don't care what Adobe recommends, I recommend they learn to code and fix their bugs instead of recommending workflows that may not work for certain pros. 

Some people NEED to work off their NAS, so please Adobe, fix this, and fix this NOW (I've already informed support back in March 2021 and they told me they were aware of the issue and a fix was coming... we're november and still this problem lingers).

If anyone has find a way to fix this, please let me know as I have lost all faith that Adobe cares about their paying customers, if this issue isn't affecting a large amount of users, they'll never EVER fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that this is affecting M1 macs only, so it IS a bug... no issues whatsoever on Intel Macs, and no issues whatsoever on Winblows machines.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect Adobe simply isn't using the right libraries for network on M1 macs... it's slow, it hangs, and when it finally refreshes files, it will randomly drop that couldn't open file because of a disk error. No other app on M1 makes these issues too, I should note. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If they have Apple Silicon search no longer, M1 + Synology (or any other NAS I tested three! even built a couple of VMs with NAS distros to see if it was a Synology issue, it IS NOT, it's an Adobe issue with Apple Silicon). I've lost days trying to make this work, I've lost all faith in this company. They're lucky after 25 years of using toshop I can't afford the time and effort needed to use something else. Oh and let's not even bring the "we're striking 3D off" and if your file opens up as a black screen cause of that, tough luck... great job on backward compatibility guys. I gave the 3D options a tries for a couple of years, now if I want to open older files I need to have 2 versions of Photoshop running... thanks!

I apologize for my elevated temperament, but when you'll have lost weeks of your time literaly just trying to OPEN files, perhaps you'll have an inkling as to why I feel the way I do.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines