• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEIF / .HEIC File Support in Photoshop [2017]

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea when we will be seeing support in Photoshop to handle Apple's new iOS format for pictures? The HEIF, specifically the .heic image format?

Thank you in advance,

~Scott

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Store as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 120 Replies 120
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is not supported in CC 2020.

you read that this is about PC version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, didin't realize this is regarding the Windows version of photoshop, no problem with my mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto, my bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[removed], Adobe?!? How come Photoshop still can't open HEIF files when so many devices write them? I am used to you ignoring your Premiere Pro users (of which I am one), since the ones that stuck with it until now just don't have any alternative (Resolve is good but has its own issues), but GIMP is an excellent (and completely free) replacement for Photoshop, which supports HEIF files (among many other things they got over PS), so I would jump ship over this in a heartbeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Store as well.

"To successfully import HEIF/.heic files, download and install both of the HEIF and HEVC Extensions directly from Microsoft."

The first codec is free and the second costs 99¢.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This codec doesn't work. I just downloaded it and it installs automatically on a Windows 10 PC. Photoshop will still not open an .heic file. Read the reviews for the codec, people overwhelmingly not the same thing in their reviews, the codec doesn't work. So, this is not the "correct answer".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. It simply does not work. The Microsoft Store tells me it's installed. Yet when I click the Launch button absolutely nothing happens. Unfortunately, I can't leave a comment, because the same screen says I can't leave a comment because I don't own the app.

Right-clicking on an heic image and choosing Photoshop to open it results in an error message saying Photoshop can't open heic files. 

Supposedly heic files offer better color and quality than jpg. So I'm not interested in apps that degrade heic files and convert them to jpg files, so that they can be opened in Photoshop et al. I don't understand why Adobe's software engineers can't figure out how to make Photoshop work natively with heic files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EASIEST WAY to deal with HEIF files since Photoshop fails;
buy Affinity Photo program for $25to30 when it's on sale.
It's not a fll PS replacement yet, but it PS is also not a full Affinity Photo replacement either!
Affinity Photo can open HEIF files without issue.. it just works.
Also, the 1 time payment Vs. Subscription bullsh*t .. is a great deal.  I paid $25 for it last Black Friday.
BUY IT.. so when Photoshop fails to perform (which is too often), that you'll be able to work around their bad developer work... and let's face it, the PS developers are not as skilled like the PS developers used to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@whatyouare and @CaseyGuy,

It's not a single codec. There are two codecs to be installed from Microsoft. Otherwise the operating system support is not complete and will not work.

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing the HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

The first codec is free and the second costs 99¢.

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Store as well.

Help page with four-step instructions:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does work for me; I have installed the free "HEIF Image Extensions" from the Microsoft store, and Photoshop can finally open HEIC files. Probably the last image editing software to get this feature, but they finally did it.

I feel I need to note that I haven't installed the HEVC codec (the paid one), it's not necessary for images (it's for video).

So I guess what was said in that post is correct, although not technically and answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that is the answer. The original question was about HEIC/HEIF support in Photoshop on Windows, and the answer is that Photoshop now supports this format via operating system codecs.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-22-1-is-now-available/m-p/1...

Other tools (like Capture One, for example) do it the same way:

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016552258-HEIF-HEIC-file-format

"...support[s] 8-bit HEIF files to the extent that those are supported by the underlying operating system.

NOTE: Users running Windows might need to download the two extensions “HEVC Video Extensions” and “HEIF Image Extensions” from Microsoft to enable HEIF/HEIC support in Capture One."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to be correct microsoft supports heic by signing into their store and paying 99 cent.

as i wrote before that´s not possible for everyone or less than optimal on corporate systems.

adobe has still done nothing to support heic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on our corporate systems we have no access to the microsoft store.

on my private system i did go to the website and installed the heif extension.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

it says it is installed (see screenshot).

but when i open photoshop and try to load sample files all i get is an error message (photoshop can not recognize the file extention). well, the filenames are xxxxxx.heif.

so i tried the windows own photo tool to see if the heif extension works.

nope, it says i need the HEVC extension (see screenshot 2).

IF adobe would natively support HEIF/HEIC all this crap would not happen....

i run the CC version of photoshop v22.5.0.

i tried my own HEIC/HEIF files and sample files from the net (in case my own HEIF files are not 100% standard conform).

@Sergiu_M-D  schrieb:

It does work for me; I have installed the free "HEIF Image Extensions" from the Microsoft store, and Photoshop can finally open HEIC files. Probably the last image editing software to get this feature, but they finally did it.

I feel I need to note that I haven't installed the HEVC codec (the paid one), it's not necessary for images (it's for video).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted above (and on the Help page), you need to install both codecs – HEIF and HEVC – from Microsoft Windows.

As noted above, other tools (like Capture One) do the exact same thing as Adobe in relying on codec support at the o/s level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted above (and on the Help page), you need to install both codecs – HEIF and HEVC – from Microsoft Windows.

As noted above, other tools (like Capture One) do the exact same thing as Adobe in relying on codec support at the o/s level.

By @ProDesignTools

Sergiu_M-D  schrieb:

why should an adobe user be interested in what other companys do... i want ADOBE to do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the first one to criticize Adobe for their plethora of shortcumings, but refusing to use a codec provided by the maker of the OS and requesting Adobe to do it is just ridiculous. Who cares who provides the codec, as long as it's easily available from a trusted source?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) many corporate users don´t have access to the microsoft store.

i often think people have never worked in a big company and here are only freelancers and private citizen working on their smartphone photos. 🙂
otherwise they would have a clue how difficult it can be to get some stuff on your work PC.

2) it is 99 cent for every user. sure that´s not much ... but where will it end?

the OS is not my graphic application... adobe photoshop is.

support a format out of the box. don´t rely on third partys.

3) it i not working in my case as demonstrated. codec is installed but it does not work.

now adobe can blame microsoft and microsoft can blame adobe.... good for them, bad for the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a lie, you only need the HEIF codec to work with HEIF images; HEVC is for video and has nothing to do with images. Since when do "Adobe Community Professional"s try to make sales for Microsoft?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Sergiu_M-D 

Your accusations are out of place on this forum.

And nobody here is trying to make an unneeded 99c sale for Microsoft; that's ridiculous.

You need both codecs per Adobe's own help pages and forums:

"To successfully import HEIF/.heic files, download and install both of the HEIF and HEVC Extensions directly from Microsoft."

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/crash-opening-heic-files-on-windows-1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-discussions/camera-raw-and-heic-files-problem/m-p/12092692...

This thread is being locked because the OP's inquiry was answered last year and now the conversation is simply spinning and going around in circles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

who marked this as correct answer?

at least read the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines