• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP: How do I export images with same dimensions of file?

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to CC, when I save an image for web I cannot figure out how to save it with same dimensions I see when working on the file. For some reason Photoshop is making the new file not as wide as the original file. This was so easy to control in my much older version.
How do I export with the original dimensions in PS24?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

It is the same dimensions unless you 'crop' and you can see the current dimension below in your screen capture. 

Do you mean that in your screen capture, the dimensions in that dialog appear differently than the original? 

You can resize the entire dialog Horizontally and then you should see the entire image (uncropped by a smaller-sized dialog). 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Well yeah, you want square pixels; glad that's fixed. 

There is zero reasons to change the resolution tag; it is rather meaningless. It is the pixels (HxW) you ask for and get that is important. We can dig deeper into that if you wish. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the same dimensions unless you 'crop' and you can see the current dimension below in your screen capture. 

Do you mean that in your screen capture, the dimensions in that dialog appear differently than the original? 

You can resize the entire dialog Horizontally and then you should see the entire image (uncropped by a smaller-sized dialog). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we see in the preview is how it appears in the file after saving. I saved the screenshot so people can see that the new file is skinnier than what I see when working on the file. 
I'm sure there are better words & terms to describe the problem, and if I knew those perhaps I could find related information. I don't know what settings could be affecting this, or might even make what I see in the workspace somehow different than what is being saved.
I do know when I created a new file for the first time in this version, the choices for width, height, and pixel aspect ratio are not what I'm accustomed to. For example I chose ratio of Widescreen 1.21 because that seemed to most closely match the desired width to height since this is for a presentation slide. Do I need to set ratio to something else so it stays at the same ratio when exporting for Web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the exact pixel dimensions of the original and the one you saved?

In the dialog and screen capture, they are the same (2100x1500), and of course, that's what you should see. 

Maybe try clicking on the little lock in the dialog (off) then back on again; any difference? 

Do try Export As... dnd JPEG; any difference? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did some playing around and in a new file if I choose square pixels instead of Widescreen then when exporting the output matches what I see in the file. Interestingly it seems in the new version one can no longer change the image resolution once the file is created. I just have to create several instances to find the appropriate file dimensions, but at least now they export with the right resolution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well yeah, you want square pixels; glad that's fixed. 

There is zero reasons to change the resolution tag; it is rather meaningless. It is the pixels (HxW) you ask for and get that is important. We can dig deeper into that if you wish. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines