• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Image losing quality for web when resized

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was given PDF files to convert to PNG for a Yelp Ad.

I am unable to resize this in Illustrator as the fonts were not embedded into the files & not available, leaving me to do this in Photoshop.

When I scale to the requested size and preview in web, the image quality is blurry. I have tried several variations on saving, and none seem to work. If anyone would be willing to provide step-by-step instruction on this or a link to instruction, that would be so helpful.

The example file I've added (110329#1) was requested to be converted to PNG with dimensions 300x250px. 

The 'Original Specs' file are the file specifications that pop up when I open the PDF in PSD. (below)

Original Specs.png

The 'Saving' file is the menu for Legacy Save for web. This is where I see blurry images on previews. (below)

Saving.png

I would be incredibly grateful for any assistance on this. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

You're scaling the file down from 1250 x 1042 pixels, down to 300 x 250 pixels. Of course it's blurry, you have only 7-8 % the number of pixels to carry the information.

This kind of drastic downsampling is never easy. It will look especially bad for text, which relies on crisp edges. What I'd consider here is to retype the text instead of using the resampled original text. See if you can find a matching font. I'd also do as much manual repair after resampling as possible, to tighten up soft e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the original file can't upload on this message board. I've received this error message 'The attachment's 110329#1.pdf content type (application/pdf) does not match its file extension and has been removed.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're scaling the file down from 1250 x 1042 pixels, down to 300 x 250 pixels. Of course it's blurry, you have only 7-8 % the number of pixels to carry the information.

This kind of drastic downsampling is never easy. It will look especially bad for text, which relies on crisp edges. What I'd consider here is to retype the text instead of using the resampled original text. See if you can find a matching font. I'd also do as much manual repair after resampling as possible, to tighten up soft edges. View at 100% to assess the final result, zoom in further to do detailed work. Making this look good is advanced work. 

The best thing is to create it from scratch at the final size. Or perhaps do it as vector in Illustrator and Export directly there - but at these small sizes it's usually best to approach at pixel level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you SO much for that response, it makes perfect sense and is what I suspected I may have to do. I will see if I can get the original vectors from the customer. I appreciate your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines