Help needed using 'Camera Raw Filter' to make a white background in a product photo

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a number of product photos that I need to photoshop before uploading them to my website.

The photos are taken with an apple iphone in a light box. The photo dimensions are 3024x4032.

I need to resize each image to 800x800 pixels and make the background of each photo white, without altering the colour of the image.

I've done this by going to 'Image' 'Canvas size' and make both sizes 4032. Then I go to 'Filters' and 'Camera Raw Filter' and I increase 'highlights' to 100% and increase 'whites' to 100% until the background is white. I then go back to 'Image' and 'Image Size' and change both to 800x800 pixels. I then save the image as a jpeg file.

This works well in most cases but when there's a light colour in the image it can lighten the image too much. Is there a way to stop this happening?  I've attached a few example images

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A before/after of the same problematic image would be more helpful. There are likely many ways to achieve an acceptable outcome.

You didn't mention creating an action, however, I would suggest doing so if you have not.

You could try using Select > Subject and Select > Inverse before running the highlight adjustment in the CR filter.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I’m new to Photoshop. Can you explain how I Create an Action?

I couldn’t send the before image because Adobe Help wouldn’t let me upload
a HEiC file (which the iPhone photos were originally in) I suppose I could
just open the original image in Photoshop and save it as a jpeg file and
send that couldn’t I?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@LINDA25545632uwlc wrote:
I’m new to Photoshop. Can you explain how I Create an Action?

The official help pages are here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/creating-actions.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/playing-actions.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/actions-actions-panel.html

Otherwise there are many tutorials, videos etc. if you search the web.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem nowadays is that people always assume this white background effect, that you frequently see in ads and other commercial images, is a Photoshop effect.

Professional photographers do this with lighting. Most of what you see around you is done that way.

Imitating this in Photoshop is much more difficult than most people think, for the reasons you describe. You need to lift the exposure, and at the same time protect the highlights from blowing out. That requires manual work, masking and so on. It's a lot of work.

Here's a backlight setup. You will then place additional frontal lights for the main subject:

flash_06.jpg

This is straight out of the camera, no masking, no post production:

armbånd_1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines