• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! photoshop keeps saving my art flipped horizontally!

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created some art. Everything was going fine and then once I finished I saved and when I went back to it the document was saved (and showing up in the thumnail) flipped horizontally! Every time I flip it back and save it just reverts back to being backwards!!! I have no idea what is happening or why. Please help!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

If you are flipping your image in the View menu, that is a View setting and it will flip back when reopened. If you want to actually flip it, use Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal instead.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of files are you saving? PSD, JPEG, PNG etc…

You could trying doing a Save As to create a new file and see if that file is stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get an answer to this?? it's happening to me now and I can't figure out why...going crazy...

Thank you!

Niki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niki. Did you try the suggestion I made to the original post and save a copy of the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me Michael, but you didn't suggest anything other than to save as... unless there was more that is no longer posted here?

I did find that the answer is in the view menu as Jane suggested below.

I both cases, it reopens flipped whether saved as or simply reopened. I needed to go into the view settings to rectify.

Thank you Michael and Jane for your help!

Much appreciated 🙂

All the best to you,

Niki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear you solved the problem. I was wondering if your Photoshop file and the preview image for the Photoshop file were mirror images of each other. My "Save As" suggestion was to force a refresh of a possibly corrupted preview image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Niki, and I'm glad this worked for you. 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are flipping your image in the View menu, that is a View setting and it will flip back when reopened. If you want to actually flip it, use Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal instead.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anybody help me please? My photoshop randomly started saving and exporting my images backwards. I went through all the troubleshoots mentioned here to no avail! Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has already been said, this is the only way that can happen:

flip1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day.

Unless i miss something this problem is still not resolved.

we all know how to flip an image or a whole document for that matter and going to the view option yes then you flip everything to appear normal but the moement you save it is saves it reverse.. the moment you pull the file over into a new ddocument it automatically flips it into reverse.. 

when this happened i checked my history to see what i possibly did to do this but there was nothing unusual.

So it seems like photoshop is atuomatically reversing the whole file and we have no controll over it which saves the whole file as a Jpeg in reverse..

WHAT is causing the file to go into reverse.. if there is a setting that we by accident activated then i want to know how to de-activate it PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way a document can flip by itself. There is nothing in Photoshop that can cause it to happen automatically. The only way is the menu item Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontally.

If you then invoke View >  Flip Horizontally, it appears normal on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try resetting Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Note re macOS: The user Library folder is hidden by default.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviors in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customize per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

in MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note for those on macOS: - be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note for those on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! Its worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello.  I have to completely disagree with your assessment regarding the file cannot automatically flip by itself. It can and reinstalling Photoshop is not a fix.  I have been using the program since 1993 and have seen unusual problems anytime an update is installed.  This is not the worst.  The techs at Adobe will eventually have a fix for this once enough people contact them regarding this glitch in the program. Just be aware when you are ready to print any files for production that you might have to flip the file (psb, psd or psbc) before printing.  These are the only files that I use so I can only give advice on these 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines