Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

highlighting growth rings in a photo

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have many hundreds of photos taken of fish otoliths. These are bony structures found inside a fishes head and when cross sectioned they show a series of increment lines which delineate annual periods of growth. For some species these annual increments are easily seen and counted (number of increments equals age of fish in years) but for others these lines are really faint. 

I am looking for the best approach to make these growth increments stand out when they are not very pronounced. I have attached a couple of pictures showing a good picture and a poor picture, along with markings to show where the increments occur. 

Any and all advice appreciated.

cheers

Andy

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use adjustment layers like Levels or Brightness and Contrast to bring out the subtle variations. The issue is they are very subtle. Here is an example:

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1659624264717.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin,

I can see an improvement but as you say the changes are subtle. Otoliths are so variable in their readability and those from tropical fish even more so. I can see it will just require some patience and trial and error to get improvemens on a given image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last case effort would be to manually go in on a layer and paint the bands with a contrasting color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some oversharpening might help somewhat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would look at ImageJ and see if anyone on their forums has ideas. ImageJ has a huge scientific userbase and is well-suited for this kind of work.

https://imagej.net/

https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines