Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

History Brush Lifting Exposure

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

When I am placing an overlay on my photo, I usually can use the history brush to remove parts of the overlay that are covering my subjects face. When I place the overlay on the photo and switch the layer from "normal" to "screen" as I am brushing off the the overlay it is also raising the exporsure in all the areas I am brushing. If the layer is in "normal" it brushes off correctly (this doesn't work because the overlays often have a background color that "screen" gets rid of). I have tried reseting all tools and that did not work. Please help!! Thank you!

I am using version 24.1.1 on an HP computer, using Windows.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Elisa

From the way you describe it, that sounds like how you would expect Screen to work.  Open any image and copy the background layer (Ctrl J — Cmd J) and set the copy layer to screen.  It will show as much brighter.  If you give the copied layer a layer mask and fill the mask with black, it will hide the effect.  Paint with white and those areas will show brighter.

I make the above because using masks is usually a better way to go than using the History Brush.  With a layer mask you can undo what you have done and have full control to fine tune your effects.  If you show us a full res screen shot of your workspace showing image and layers panel, we might be able to suggest alternative workflows.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines