• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How a spot color channel is displayed in Photoshop?

Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I pick a Pantone color for a spot color channel, it is a gradient, How the channel is displayed? or How Photoshop calculate the color of midtone?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

I suppose 

Edit > Color Settings > Working Spaces > Spot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Keeping it simple with the spot colour channel by itself, not interacting with any other CMYK or spot ink...

There is a solid Lab colour value, and as mentioned by c.pfaffenbichler – the tone response curve of colour settings/spot is used for the single colour tint values. There is also the "solidity" value.

All of this is just "representative", far from accurate for tints, even more so for spots overprinting other inks or substrates. 

This is why, particularly in packaging design, that sp

Votes

Translate

Translate

That's right, the profile specified in the working spaces section. The spot channel is displayed and handled in Photoshop according to this.

It might be a good idea to change this to something that reflects the actual printing process. The dot gain profiles are generic (and somewhat outdated), referring to a fixed ink spread percentage in the paper. In reality, it isn't a fixed percentage, but a rather more complex curve.

However, I assume spot inks behave somewhat differently than the proce

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose 

Edit > Color Settings > Working Spaces > Spot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeping it simple with the spot colour channel by itself, not interacting with any other CMYK or spot ink...

There is a solid Lab colour value, and as mentioned by c.pfaffenbichler – the tone response curve of colour settings/spot is used for the single colour tint values. There is also the "solidity" value.

All of this is just "representative", far from accurate for tints, even more so for spots overprinting other inks or substrates. 

This is why, particularly in packaging design, that spectral reflectance data has become important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's right, the profile specified in the working spaces section. The spot channel is displayed and handled in Photoshop according to this.

It might be a good idea to change this to something that reflects the actual printing process. The dot gain profiles are generic (and somewhat outdated), referring to a fixed ink spread percentage in the paper. In reality, it isn't a fixed percentage, but a rather more complex curve.

However, I assume spot inks behave somewhat differently than the process inks. Perhaps even different for individual inks. I would definitely ask the printer about this. In the meantime, I'd start here (substitute the actual CMYK):

spot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines