• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I fix the color swatches in the updated 2020 photoshop?

Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Tone and title of the post edited by a moderator to match current community rules. One can disagree with choices made, but please, remember that whomever you are discontent with is also a human being that deserves respect.] PEC
I need to know how to undo what Adobe did to the color swatches in Photoshop. I liked it the way it was, and I litterally HATE what did to it. Who decided it would be a good idea to put them in a bunch of folders?

This is what it looks like now...

color_swatches_all_screwed_up.png

How can I undo what was done, and get the color swatches back like they were? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

You can load the old Default Swatches from Required folder in the Photoshop program folder (windows) or Photoshop Application (mac right click show package contents) if you still have an older photoshop version installed.

swa.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag swatches in /out of groups. To take them out click on the first in the group , shift click on the last then drag them above the groups to take them out. 

To put them in a group drag onto a folder

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply. And thank you very much for trying to help.

However that wasn't what I was looking for. I just need to know how to completely undo the damage that adobe did with this "update" without having to drag from a bunch of folders and rearange in a new folder. I just need to know how to put them back exactly like they were before the so called "update". 

I suppose I was hoping that someone from adobe would read my post, feel ashamed enough of what they did that they would offer up a soloution like, "Do this, then click this button and restrart photoshop and it'll be back exactly like it was. We apologize for our stupidity in doing this and will refrain from ever doing it in the future." That'ts what they should do but knowing how the arrogant pieces of junk are, that probably won't ever happen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YESSS IT' REALLY IS THAT FRUSTRATING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JoeH I sure appreciate your viewpoint! Did you ever resolve this? It is killing me; I am vowing to quit Photoshop forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could "like" this post a hundred times. GARBAGE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can load the old Default Swatches from Required folder in the Photoshop program folder (windows) or Photoshop Application (mac right click show package contents) if you still have an older photoshop version installed.

swa.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff. I was able to do that, and it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joeh87907460, Can you please go through the steps of how to do that? I still have an older version of Photoshop on the computer (Mac) but have no idea how to get the swatches from there into the new version. Like you, I find the new swatch system moronic. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I even went as far as exporting CC2019's default swatches as an ASE to reimport it, then dragged all the swatches out of the folder 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does NOT work. The Color Swatches folder is empty. As the OP stated, "What idiot thought this was a great idea?" I bet if life was a cartoon where we all had light bulbs appear over our heads; that person would have spawned a busted Christmas bulb......................

So, what magic fix do you have now that is NOT  a "canned note" company response?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff

I am sorry to sound like an idiot btut new at photoshp and where does one find the color swatches in the first place? I have been trying everything to get my swatch panel to look similar to the one above. Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have anything installed on my computer, it's all the creative cloud. So I guess I'm screwed. I need to be able to type in a hex code to get a specific color, that seems to be missing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't get back the old swatch palette like you show above. PLEASE tell me how do get that back! PSD 21.2.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not having this easily implementable option to at least make the swatch available is absurd, also the point of updating is to GET RID of the OLD and put in the NEW, not have the old programm take the space that isn´t used for anything.
Do I really have to save every programm in order to not potentially be [profanity removed by moderator] over? Because in that case I might as well get a cracked version like so many others do... Saves the hastle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you please tell me how can i fix that in my computer (windows)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone explain what Jeff says is the answer? There's zero explanation how to do this and a photo of his swatches which of course is not helpful. I have the latest version of APS and when I try to import the default swatches like he said, its just another parent folder with a bunch of folders inside. I don't get that big setup of a bunch of swatches like his pic. this is such a waste of time to do something as basic as finding colors. thanks adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aly3200,

You can do like was suggested by mglush and make your own Default Swatches from the existing swatch groups like as shown in the short gif below.

defswa.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Arola, I still have Photoshop 2018 on my computer. Can you please give detailed, step-by-step for morons instructions on how to load the old swatches into the new Photoshop? I am now running the 21.1.0 version (just switched over to supposedly fix an issue) and also absolutely hate the new swatch system. Makes my work so much slower and cumbersome! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sujeka,

What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't get the default swatches to load. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen did you ever find a way? I cannot either and am incredibly frustrated. I'm on newest verion of PS (21.2.1) and newest Mac OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you're at it, how do I get my swatches back after they were trashed by installing 2020 21.2 (they were there in 21.1.3)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found my own answer, here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/empty-color-swatches-folder-in-photoshop-2020/td-p/10891406...

Selected Legacy Swatches and OMG, I undid an Adobe dumb thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work for me 😞   Adobe is so annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines