• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

How can I get a crisper image/lines so I can blow them up for detailed drawing?

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm working with is landscape design and I'm trying to create property lines, tree lines, house lines, etc, that ocassionally need to be expanded for detailed design. I know vectors would be a good way to do this - is there a way to do this better? Or should I create them in illustrator? 

I think I have one of two options or I need to do both. Or, open to other ideas. 

1. increase the PPI and pixel size
  2. figure out how to vectorize the PDF/layout file (I’m just worried about the house/property layout)

Here's an example of what I'm talking about (quick sloppy trees drawn for example, the black lines are a house outline. This is just an example)

Dane23340138dnz3_0-1664158222399.png

Thank you 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator would be best. You can increase the resolution in PS and make sure you use vectors, so you can increase the resolution, if needed.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dane23340138dnz3 

Using Vector tools in photoshop or illustrator will be the best way to preserve detail in your files when blown up. 

A hi-res image (600+ dpi) may be a solution as well if you don't care about some blurriness after a certain point when zooming in but may create very large files to work that may cause performance issues.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you stay in Photoshop and simply adjust the pixel dimensions, you must take into account how you want it to be used. For example, your screen shot shows shows pixel dimensions of 1440 x 2880 pixels. If it looks OK at 100%, but you need people to see it on screen at 400% and it’s too jaggy at 400%, then you should adjust the pixel dimensions by 400% (5760 x 11520 pixels). For on-screen viewing, ppi does not matter, only the pixel dimensions.

Or if it’s for print and you want to stay in Photoshop, then you must state the largest print size you will need at what ppi resolution. 1440 x 2880 pixels at 300 ppi is 4.8 by 9.6 inches. If for example, you require a 300 dpi print at 16 inches wide, then the Image Size math says the document will need to be 4800 pixels wide (300 ppi times 16 inches).

Or, you can avoid all of the math and large file sizes by drawing with the vector tools in Illustrator, because unlike Photoshop, an Illustrator document does not use a fixed pixel grid. If you draw it in Illustrator and save in a format that preserves vectors, such as PDF, it always renders at the maximum resolution of any display or printer you send it to.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines