• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I hide the default or system fonts from the type list?

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to hide the system fonts and the ones that comes with the MacBook Pro and just being able to see in the list of typographies of Photoshop the ones I've installed. Is that possible?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

This could be a great feature request and we have seen requests for the same in the past. I would suggest that you also share your feedback and add your vote to this feature request in this existing discussion: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/disable-fonts-from-within-photoshop

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this link, Akash.  I'll vote for this.

Instead of disabling fonts, I'd be happy to simply set the Filter pop-up menu to something like "Fonts not included with macOS" or "Fonts not included with Windows".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presently it is not possible. 

When a Font is in the "Fonts" folder on either Windows or Mac OS X they show in programs where you can change fonts.

If you where to uninstall any font that the operating system needed, that it uses, you would be looking for trouble, operating system errors and possible crashes.

Also what do you mean by "The ones I've Installed"? Not only does the OS come with built in fonts, for use by the OS in dialog boxes and windows, but for other programs to use. Almost any program that has the ability for Text Entry may also install fonts into the OS Fonts Folder. So just turning off the System font won't show just the Fonts You Installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While not exactly what you're looking for, you can use macOS Font Book to disable a Font or Font Collections.

Disabling the font "American Typewriter" in macOS Font BookDisabling the font "American Typewriter" in macOS Font BookDisabling the font Collection "Fun" in macOS Font BookDisabling the font Collection "Fun" in macOS Font Book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, you cannot disable or uncheck system fonts. Which are all the foreign language fonts that most of us do not use. Having to scroll through 769 fonts I don't use to try to find the ones I do want to use is a huge waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do in Adobe applications is mark the typefaces I want to see as Favorites, then set the Filter to Favorites. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jane! I have never used favorites before—each client with their own set can add up on some days. I will try your suggestion.

Best,
Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. Apple has like 4000 typefaces that are locked system fonts that we can't disable. Although, I think it would be nice to have some library organization options for Adobe (feature request) but I think our beef with locked system fonts should start and end with Apple not doing screwy [removed]

I wrote to Apple's forum to ask this to be changed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with that - this has been an issue for like a decade.  They dont care.

Im obviously here for same reason.  Tired of working on graphics and having to scroll through a sea of NOTO and STIX and a few dozen more that I can't disable, delete, hide, etc.... 

Id be happy if Apple or Adobe stored fonts in different sub folders... System fonts can be hidden from other programs and stored in the library - wouldn't be hard for Apple to have a "Fonts - User" and a "Fonts - System" folder setup. 

The other issue is... only so many fonts (and this includes variations) can be activated at the same time - Id rather take up my space having my fonts... I mean look at this list & thats just half of the NOTO's.  - RIDICULOUS!

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 11.20.29 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While on this topic.... we should also have options when first setting up or in preferences for either adobe or apple to set up main language and just have those fonts associated.  I will never be doing work in Arabic or Chinese or Swahilli - Why do I need those fonts bogging my system? And if I did need them, there could be check boxes or something - so that even if they are in the system, WE can ACTIVATE them and not be forced to deal. It's a time killer scrolling through [removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has made an API for this purpose since at least High Sierra. It's what they use to hide fonts not related to your language in Font Book, Pages, etc.

Adobe has yet to implement it, and they are one of the few holdouts who insist on displaying every single macOS system font, without giving the user an option to hide them.

Still, this wasn't a big deal until Ventura. You used to be able to use any of the better third party fonts managers to disable as many of the fonts in the /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental folder as you wanted. But in Ventura, even these are now completely off limits to the user. Leaving us with ridiclously long font lists in the Adobe CC suite.

Purely a guess on my part, but I can only think Adobe isn't hiding these fonts since they can't know which fonts an advertising firm or print shop may need access to in order to work on a multi-language brochure, flyer, etc. Essentially, why make the user purchase similar third party foreign language fonts when what you need is already provided with the OS?

Making favorite font lists is a pain in the posterior. You will find yourself constantly editing this list as you switch jobs and need access to different fonts. It is better than nothing, but clumsy.

The API, if Adobe would ever implement it, is a very simple and elegant solution. The developer of EtreCheck wrote a teeny app that shows how easy this is. He has since pulled it from GitHub, but I can show a couple of screen shots.

Probably the most annoying to Mac users is the roughly 100 Noto Sans fonts you can't get out of the way. With the check box off, you see those and many other fonts most English users will never need.

Screenshot 1.png

Turn the check box on, and poof! All non-English fonts are instantly hidden.

Screenshot 2.png

That's literally all it would take to (mostly) fix this issue. A check box. The makers of the SoftMaker Office suite are adding one to the upcoming 2024 release.

Screenshot.png

Where would I put it? At the top right so it's always out front and easily available. Turn it off when you need access to those extra foreign fonts. Turn it on when you don't.

Screenshot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it mean that there is no way for us to disable the system font? I really found the check box useful and convenient. But it seems like there no such an application like that can be applied and used in Adobe? All we can do now is just waiting and begging the application can be created and applied? 😭

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no. In Ventura, and likely every OS going forward, Apple has made every font installed by the OS off limits to the user. Even just deactivating those you don't need isn't allowed.

Neither Font Book, or any third party font manager can touch them. Some, like RightFont, will go through the motions of disabling the Supplemental fonts, and even shows them as deactivated in its interface. But nothing actually happens. They're still all active.

Per my little suggestion above, it would make more sense to add a check box to hide the system fonts in the text options.

type.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect - IF ONLY.  I dont know what the beef is between Apple and Adobe, but they need to get on board.  Thanks for that reply. Ive used EtreCheck in the past - it worked well.  I highly doubt anyone at Adobe ever looks at these, maybe we need to escalate this somehow.  I won't hold my breathe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RightFont as well... and yeah, it really doesn't do much. Decent interface. They say 'deactivated' but they're clearly not... you still have to dead sea scroll forever to get past them. In fact I think most fonts I use are now are A through M.... its like having a friend with a bunch of 9's in his phone number back in the old rotary phone days... he never got calls. Took too long to dial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This would be a perfect solution!
Thanks for posting these suggestions.

If removing the fonts from the system isn't possible, hiding or filtering the font list would surely help.
The fonts don't HAVE to be removed or deactivated (would be desired though).
Just give an option to hide or filter them from the dropdown / font list.

It could use a similar mechanism as marking fonts as favourite.
Marking them as 'unwanted' / 'undesired' or whatever, with an option to toggle the visibilty of the set.

This functionality should be pretty easy for a developer to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines